Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu will spy on you?! Not really

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:10 AM

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/ubuntu-data-collection-opt-out

Unlike the Amazon search controversy this seems far more benign in its execution.

But of course the tin foil brigade is already comparing this to Microsoft and windows 10.

I can see this here as a good thing, help improve hardware compatibility

Edited by MadmanRB, 15 February 2018 - 11:12 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:36 PM

I posted response to this on the Bleeping News page. At least Ubuntu respects us enough to give up an opt out feature and Apport can be uninstalled. 

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

As well as providing opt outs the telemetry here does seem to be fairly clearly related to system and compatibility, especially low level stuff, and not towards the kind of "user experience" or perhaps activity type stuff which windows 10 is suspected to collect. By being open about exactly what is being collected, giving users options to say no, and then asking nicely and telling people why the telemetry should be helpful Ubuntu could do very well from this. It shouldn't kick up any of the storms windows 10 has.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

I'd have preferred it if they'd made it opt-in rather than opt-out

From a PR point of view, opt-out options nearly always come back to bite you. People generally like to be asked, rather than taken for granted.

#5 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

Double post.

Edited by Gary R, 15 February 2018 - 06:58 PM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:04 AM

So does this mean that when Linux Mint 19 is released, a similar opt-out will be included in the installer there ? ( Linux Mint 19,  is due (tentatively) in June 2018, based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.)

I do wonder what Clem's thoughts are on the topic.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

Post #4, I would guess they made it opt-out rather than opt-in to get the largest number of users to leave it as it is set. Someone who was ambivalent about it would leave the checkbox, however it was set, at it's default. As they have given an opt-out (and I think they'll be making it quite clear rather than hiding it away to be sneaky??) I can't really criticise it, though an opt-in would be more polite to users. It is however important to ensure that there is always a clearly visible opt-out and that it isn't changed in future to be locked on.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,253 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

I agree, Opt in would have been better

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:56 AM

I agree, Opt in would have been better

+1! :thumbsup:

Not only in regards to this issue, rather all. Let the customer or user make the physical choice to opt-in, chances are (these days) that most won't. :)

It's also a more consumer friendly business practice, rather than an half-hearted one. There may be time limits on how long one 'opts-out' or policies can change. Like in the US, opting out of many services are often time limited to 5 years max, not a lifetime choice. 

Hopefully Linux Mint simply won't have the Apport choice to make, the team modifies the base Ubuntu distro to reflect their & user's preferences. Often decisions are made based upon feedback during the early beta releases, unlike many others, Clem takes Linux Mint followers seriously over many issues. The more that speaks out against Apport (& many will), the better the chance to be pulled before the final Preview becomes released. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,253 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

Let the customer or user make the physical choice to opt-in, chances are (these days) that most won't

It makes it easier for Ubuntu to fix problems.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:54 PM

Glad to hear that at least one OS is allowing this (hopefully) w/out strings attached. :)

If so, will be the first in a long time. Now if only Linux distros would get rid of Yahoo & Amazon out of the Firefox browser (often Yahoo search by default), we'll be making greater strides. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 MandatoryResponse

MandatoryResponse

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:38 PM

Just read this. This is more important than your thread seems to say: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ubuntu-spyware.es.html 

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,072 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:46 PM

Eh its rather tin foil hat, gnu is not my authority and to hell with Stallman.

If stallman had his way the only thing we would use is command line and no internet

Edited by MadmanRB, 11 June 2018 - 02:47 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:55 PM

Glad to hear that at least one OS is allowing this (hopefully) w/out strings attached. :)

Cat

There's always strings.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

Cat

There's always strings.

And there is "no free lunch."

Back to another of cat1092's comments:  Let the customer or user make the physical choice to opt-in, chances are (these days) that most won't

And therein lies the problem.  When features are being added (and system health telemetry is one of them) that are to the sometimes near immediate and always long term benefit to the end user, why would it be better to give most of them, who don't understand this or a heck of a lot else regarding computing, a default option that is to their detriment?

Default options should be based upon an educated supposition about what is of the most benefit to the most involved.  It's not some ideological purity test, nor should it be.  In this case that's undoubtedly an opt-out, not an opt-in.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users