Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to discern good from bad downloads

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 malchico

malchico

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:43 AM

If I am getting messages that my Intel or Microsoft files are needing to be updated, how can I discern whether or not they are genuine?  How can I go and get the bona fide files that are there for people who just need a real answer for a real problem? My question was "My computer will not see my USB 2.0 micro USB card, what driver do i need?

MY mail got abunchastuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:17 AM

Not sure that I understand what you are asking.

Intel files/downloads...should originate from the Intel website.

Windows component downloads originate from the Microsoft website.

What's hard about understanding that?

If your system does not recognize a component that is functionally sound...such as a USB device...yet other USB devices function properly...I would guess that you have a malfunctioning component.

Plug-and-play USB devices are powered by USB 2.0 drivers...which are a native part of any Windows install which includes hardware drivers.  I see that Intel offers USB 2.0 driver downloads, but those appear to only apply to XP.  If you have an Intel board and have properly installed all drivers applicable...the USB 2.0 drivers should have been part of the motherboard driver install package.

In some cases, a USB device will have its own driver and those will have to be installed for functionality of the device.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2018 - 09:01 AM.

#3 malchico

malchico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

I try too hard to be brief.  I got "download updater" and 'file updater" Then started getting messages about Intel and Microsoft  files that need to be updated. My question should have been, " Am I OK going to Intel and Microsoft websites for updates and declinig any other offers to clean up my computer?

I'll put the "USB card won't work" on the correct forum. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:14 AM

Where you go...and what you do...on your system is your business.

You have the responsibility for making those judgments...no one here can do it for you.

A fundamental part of browsing on the Web...is the ability and willingness to realize that...many false claims are part of the landscape.  If you choose to be a victim to such...that's your business.  If logic and common sense indicate that an act should not be done...that should be sufficient to make a decision.

Louis

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

I got "download updater" and 'file updater"

Are these some sort of updater applications you have installed ?  If they are I suggest you uninstall them and save yourself a lot of worry. Drivers only need updating if you are aware that a device is having problems, and if they do need updating then your best source is either the device maker's web-site or the computer manufacturer's.

'Files' do not need updating. Applications sometimes do, from time to time, and the way to check this is to click on 'Help' in the menu. There you will find either an entry for 'Check for updates' or clicking on 'About' will say if there are updates available.

There are four applications which come to  mind as needing regular updates. These are your operating system, Adobe flash, the Adobe PDF reader (all versions) and Java if you have it installed. But updates, or notification of updates, for these are pushed out regularly and automatically.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users