Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Psensor not showing value at tray.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Silhorn

Silhorn

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:22 PM

Hello,

I have Mint MATE and installed psensor, rebooted.

Psensor is showing icon in tray but clicking or right clicking not showing menu and also not showing value of temperature next to tray icon too.

I run in terminal to check for any error messages and I get rhese:

[2018-02-15T02:05:45] [WARN] Failed to load configuration file /home/tvbox/.psensor/psensor.cfg: No such file or directory

(psensor:2769): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

Can someone help me out how to fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:24 PM

How did you Install psensor?  Run in Terminal

sudo apt-get install lm-sensors hddtemp psensor

After that you will need to configure lm-sensors, run in Terminal

sudo sensors-detect

And choose Yes to all questions.

Then you can open Menu and type psensor, you should then see it and be able to open it and configure it to your liking.

Edited by pcpunk, 14 February 2018 - 11:25 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Silhorn

Silhorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:25 AM

0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.

I already have all those packages and done detected all the sensors with sensors-detect
The mate panel applets for sensors already work. 

I actually mistyped the first post. I left click and can get into the program and see the sensors. It's just that if I right click on the icon a menu should appear with sensor information which it doesn't and the icon should have a readout next to it which it doesnt.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

I left click and can get into the program and see the sensors. It's just that if I right click on the icon a menu should appear with sensor information which it doesn't and the icon should have a readout next to it which it doesnt.

I don't think that is how it works but will take a look at mine later during my linux hours.  Unless you have experienced this, I would say that is not how it works, at least that's not how I remember it.  I think you would be happier with Conky, which will sit on your desktop if you like and always show you all these activities and more.  Here is a Tutorial that may help you achieve the configuration.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567477/how-to-install-and-configure-conky-system-monitor/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:10 AM

My Psensor shows all of the temps and info when I left click the thermometer in the panel.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

Linux Lite 3.6 Xenial (64bit) / ASUS Motherboard M4A785-M (08-18-2010) / AMD Phenom X3 8650 "Toliman" Processor 2.3 GHz / [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] Integrated Graphics Adapter / G.SKILL 4.0 GB, PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory.

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:41 AM

Hm. I think pcpunk and The Toolman are right.

As I recall, when you click on psensor's tray applet, the main graph window comes up. To configure it the way you want, you need to click on Options/Preferences along the top left, where the Menu options are.

Then you can configure it how you want. to. Am I remembering that correctly, guys?

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 February 2018 - 11:43 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

1dHskd8.gif

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:10 PM

I think so Mike, this is why I use Conky, and have psensor set to warn me of overheating only.  Once and a while will get er up and take a look, but it's been some time now.  I think it can also be set to always be on top.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:45 PM

I just install it and use it out of the box.

I figure if I develop any major temp issues I'll hear my fans start ramping.

There doesn't seem to be much configuration info anywhere that I've found.

https://wpitchoune.net/psensor/

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

Linux Lite 3.6 Xenial (64bit) / ASUS Motherboard M4A785-M (08-18-2010) / AMD Phenom X3 8650 "Toliman" Processor 2.3 GHz / [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] Integrated Graphics Adapter / G.SKILL 4.0 GB, PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory.

#9 Silhorn

Silhorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

psensor-indicator.png

Above picture is what I am trying to get.

Notice there is temperature value next to the thermometer icon? I have the icon but not the value.

I can left click on the icon which the whole program opens up but I don't get the menu to show up.

In preferences I already enabled Menu and Unity Launcher Counter. In sensor preferences I already enabled display sensor in the label and in the menu.

#10 Silhorn

Silhorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:43 PM

To give more info, it's not just this tray indicator that is the problem. 

Here is link to another post I made in mint forum. Unfortunately no one seems to know how to fix there.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=263864

psensor
Shows the thermometer icon in the tray but no value next to it. 
Display sensor in label and in menu have been enabled in preferences.
Left clicking does not do anything but I think it should have a menu come down with temperature and other readings

indicator-multiload
Blank space appears where something should.
Right and left click can get access to preferences, I selected which sensors I want shown.
Occassionally the blank space flickers into a graph or something for 1 second.

indicator-sysmonitor
Blank space again

my-weather-indicator
This one shows the cloud icon in the tray but not the temperature like it should
I have enabled temperature to be shown in preferences.

My weather indicator shows similar error

(my-weather-indicator:7723): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed

Edited by Silhorn, 15 February 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

Mm. I suspect part of your problem is that you're not actually using Unity, are you.....or even Ubuntu, come to that. (Remember, Unity is/was an Ubuntu 'exclusive'. Just like Ubuntu One was. And Ubuntu Phone. And.....well, I could go on. But I won't.)

AFAICT, you're using Mint. With the MATE desktop. (Which is a far more sensible choice, anyway. Unity was.....peculiar, to say the least.)

I've remembered that I do in fact have pSensor running in one of my Pups.....Tahrpup64 6.0.5. But I don't use it for the temp readout, in any case; I have Mick Amadio's 'pmcputemp' and gKrellM for that. I mainly use it to monitor the HDD/SSD temps.

I vaguely recall not being able to get the tray temp readout in Mint Cinnamon. I think it would work in the old GNOME2.....and I know it worked in ZorinOS, a few years ago. It's one of those items that wasn't compatible with every desktop manager out there.....

The same goes for 'My-Weather'. (Another one I used to like using.)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 February 2018 - 08:24 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

1dHskd8.gif

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:00 PM

Where did you get that pic?

I see what you are saying now, and didn't doubt you but it's been so long that I configured mine.  I have the same issue.

It's just that if I right click on the icon a menu should appear with sensor information which it doesn't

Fortunately I do have the Menu Dropdown but not the little Temp Readout.  That may only be available with certain Hardware, why don't you post your inxi so we can compare.

uj9bnU0.png

I have version 0.8.0.3

Maybe you need to install a newer version

https://wpitchoune.net/psensor/

https://wpitchoune.net/psensor/ubuntu.html

I assume your Distro is up to date as you seem to have a grasp on what you are doing?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,745 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:12 PM

Thats Psensor indicator, where did you get it? how did you install it?

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

8down voteaccepted

since psensor v1.0.1, the value of the sensors can be displayed in the top bar, see https://wpitchoune.net/psensor/ubuntu.html

You can easily upgrade to a version of psensor including this new feature by using the psensor ppa:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:jfi/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install psensor

https://askubuntu.com/questions/539556/how-to-get-temperature-indicators-in-the-panel-in-14-04

the temperature can now be displayed directly in the panel, next to the Psensor icon (this feature is currently considered experimental);

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/06/psensor-updated-with-option-to-display.html

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 Silhorn

Silhorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:06 PM

I got the pic from google using the term psensor

I checked and have version 1.3, I just upgraded to version 1.5 using the links given. Same error.

I originally used mate software manager to install, then I upgrade to 1.5 with console.

As noted in my first post, I am not using Ubuntu but Mint Mate.

I guess Mike Walsh was right, it may not work in all desktops?

Command inxi gives:

CPU~Dual core AMD Athlon 4850e (-MCP-) speed/max~1000/2500 MHz Kernel~4.13.0-32-generic x86_64 Up~3:12 Mem~1837.6/5960.6MB HDD~1160.2GB(62.9% used) Procs~197 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35  

In the mate sensors applet I can get cpu temp, gpu temp, hdd temp just fine. Also in cairo dock. It's just that I wanted to try other indicator options to see what suits me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users