Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Flash Drive (512mb Bytestor)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 colwud

colwud

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:46 AM

My flash drive, which is 70 per cent full and has worked well for the past year or so, will no longer let me copy files to the root directory or create any new folders. I can still copy files into any of the existing folders but that is all it will allow, the device is unlocked.

Any ideas what may be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:16 AM

hi, colwud,

go to start, run, and type cmd
then type chkdsk /f /r x: where x is your flash drive

remember to also close the device in the taskbar before removal,

hope this helps.

#3 colwud

colwud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

Thanks, I will give it a try

#4 colwud

colwud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:43 AM

I seem to be getting the switches wrong, is it /f /rf
or /f /rf:
or what?
my device is drive f

#5 colwud

colwud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:57 AM

OK done that and it gives me the file stats and says there is no problem?

anything else I can do?

regards

Colwud

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:17 PM

A simple thing you could do is try to reformat it. Move all the information from your thumbdrive to a folder on your desktop/laptop, then right click on your USB drive in "My Computer" and click "Format". If it's only 512mb, make sure it's set to FAT32 file system. However, if you actually have programs installed to your thumbdrive (meaning you installed them so that you can run them on any computer), i dunno if it would work or not.

Reformatting couldn't hurt (as long as you have your files stored to the harddrive). I've had to reformat my Sony Microvault a couple of times to get rid of some odd problems, including something similar to yours.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 01 October 2006 - 12:18 PM.

#7 colwud

colwud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

Thanks I will do that, I have no programs installed on it so it should be straightforward.

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:59 PM

Some things i forgot to include in my post (sorry if it causes you inconveniences):

Some usb drives come with software already on them. My sony microvault contains compression/decompression software exe's that i can only get from the sony site. If you had files on your drive before adding stuff to it, make sure to read the manual or insert that came in the package.

When in doubt, read the manual. There may be a more efficient/better way of formatting your USB drive, but the windows formatter is pretty standard.

#9 colwud

colwud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:41 AM

OK thanks, all is well, I reformatted and that has cleared the problem.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:56 AM

FWIW - I recently got several USB flash drives with the U3 software on them. This caused me more problems than the software was worth - so I removed it.

The point that I learned from this is that the implementation of different security measures on USB flash drives is different for every manufacturer. So, if there's a problem with the drive - the best thing to do is go to the manufacturer's website and get their tools to fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users