Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low internet speed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sciencemagic

sciencemagic

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

My computer has lower internet speed than what I am suppose to receive. My computers speed is 48-52 MB's. I am supposed to get 100 MB's. I have had my cable provider come out and check my speed with the techs computer using my internet connection, the cable modem (wired) and E cable and viewing the techs computer results and viewing my results using the same web site to check speed. So, unequivocally my computer is the fault for my lower speed.

I posted this topic on the help forums, and after I supplied the info that was requested by hamluis and he looked things over, and evidently found no issue with the usual issues he deals with and he then suggested I try the AM I Infected forum to see what help that forum could be. So, here I am. Hopefully, someone can be of help. Evidently, hamluis thinks my computer may be infected? Or, maybe not?

Mod Edit:  Previous topic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2018 - 07:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:08 AM

I have never heard of the reduce my Internet speed by about 50% malware but I suppose it it possible.

I can't tell from supplied info so far what Ethernet driver software/driver you have installed but the hardware appears to be Atheros AR8152.

You could check in Device Manager to see what Atheros driver version you have now and consider updating it if it is not current.

You could make a manual System Restore point so you have a way to undo any adjustments (in case you need to undo any changes or if things get worse).

Then visit the Atheros driver download page for your AR8152 which is here:

https://www.ath-drivers.eu/atheros-network-drivers.html

Download, install their current driver, restart your system, check Device Manager to see if the driver version was updated, then check your speeds.

If things are no better or worse you can use the System Restore point created earlier to get back to before you started.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users