Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At my wit's end with this bleeping computer!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lshwarts

lshwarts

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

Hi there...

First post, so please bear with me; I'm going to dump as much information as I can in hopes of FINALLY finding a cause / solution to this crap...

I have a stock Asus G20AJ gaming machine, with specs as follows:

Processor: Intel Core I7-4790 @ 3.60 Ghz

RAM: 16 GB

OS: Windows 10 Home 64 bit (recently upgraded from Windows 8 - more info below)

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 760

Monitor: HP 2311x

Information:

For the last year, my computer has been bricked because Windows crapped out on me when I was trying to upgrade from 8 to 10. It was inoperable. Yesterday, a neighbor agreed to help me get it fixed and did a clean install of Windows 10. We completely wiped the computer and did a fresh install of the OS. It's working perfectly. I've gone in and downloaded / installed all the latest drivers for everything. The only software currently installed on my computer are whatever comes with Windows, Avast Antivirus, Origin (for Sims 3 games, but they're not downloaded / installed yet), Steam, and Civilization 6.

The Problem:

While playing Civilization 6 (and I seem to remember it happening when I was playing the Sims 3 way back when, before Windows died), my monitor will go black and a white window will flash on the screen which says, "Input Signal Out of Range - Change settings to 1920x1080 60 Hz." (Note that this is currently my resolution and refresh rate setting). For a few minutes while that is flashing on and off my screen, I can still hear the sound of the game running on the computer; then, the sound will freeze and the computer will restart.

Sometimes this happens after only a few minutes of playing the game, and sometimes it won't happen for several hours. But it ALWAYS happens. At first I thought it was some kind of Windows glitch, but the first time I cranked up Civ after the clean Windows 10 install, it did the exact same thing, which dispels that notion. I have tried cranking my Civ graphics settings way down, but that didn't help either.

My computer more than meets the minimum specifications for Civ 6 and is only just shy of the "recommended" specs, as that requires a 770 graphics card, and I have a 760.

I'm really at a loss for what's going on or what I should do. Any help, suggestions, or ideas are welcome and greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:00 PM

Seems as if it may be a video issue, you chip has graphics.  I would pull the graphics card and plug into the boards header try things using the chips graphics.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

FWIW

Louis

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

I'm wondering if the normal 60Hz was bumped up to a higher number by something.  As Hamluis indicated, Google is our friend.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users