Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Install Windows 7 in Windows 10 OS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 davidjames9001

davidjames9001

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:35 PM

I want to install Windows 7 as a second OS with Windows 10 but when i try to install there is no partition to select while installing windows 7. How can i do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

When installing a multi boot system you have to start with the oldest operating system first.  In this case you need to install Windows 7 and then install Windows 10.  There may be ways to install Windows 7 after Windows 10, but it won't be easy.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:17 PM

You may be able to do this but there will be a few things we need to check.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-and-windows-7-after/7e43130f-11a9-4167-832e-97ed168ae369

Is your partition scheme GPT or MBR?  If it is MBR then you might not be able to do this.  Here is how to check

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/84888-check-if-disk-mbr-gpt-windows.html

You could also take a picture of your Disk Manager if you do have MBR, so that we can see how many Primary Partitions you have.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:41 PM

Easiest way would be to install in a virtual hard drive.  There is plenty of information on how to do that in several different ways.  Google is your friend.

#5 davidjames9001

davidjames9001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

When installing a multi boot system you have to start with the oldest operating system first.  In this case you need to install Windows 7 and then install Windows 10.  There may be ways to install Windows 7 after Windows 10, but it won't be easy.

For that i have to format only c drive or whole hard disk? (To install first windows 7 then Windows 10)

Easiest way would be to install in a virtual hard drive.  There is plenty of information on how to do that in several different ways.  Google is your friend.

Please let me know how can i install in a virtual hard drive?

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

We're spinning our wheels here a little bit.  First off, you can install Windows 7 After Windows 10, but I have never done it and it may to to complicated for me to show you.  You can also do it in a Virtual Machine, which I've never done either, have only done this with Linux.  Let's at least see if you can indeed install Windows 7 AT ALL on the Drive and if you pc is capable of running a Virtual Machine.  The Kaby Lake Processor will not allow this, and potentially your partition scheme.  Please provide a Speccy Chart of your pc.  It is perfectly safe to do and won't show any personal info.  Follow the Tutorial below and post the link.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/657797/painfully-slow/#entry4338688

There is also a few Tools you can use to create virtual machines, VMware and VirtualBox would be the two that are most popular to create virtual machines.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 838 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

The Kaby Lake Processor will not allow this, and potentially your partition scheme.

Actually, it's not the Kaby Lake processor, because there are a few that do install Windows 7 with a Kaby Lake/Ryzen cpu

It is Microsoft that does not want you to run Windows 7 with a Kaby Lake / Ryzen cpu, and if you want to install Windows 7 then avoid certain non-security updates KB4012218 and KB4012219.

Both include the following entry:

Enabled detection of processor generation and hardware support when PC tries to scan or download updates through Windows Update.

As you may know, Microsoft announced some time ago that it would not support the latest generation of processors on older versions of Windows. To hammer this home even more, Microsoft revealed that it will block updates on older versions of Windows if the device was powered by a processor of the latest generation.

Enabled detection of processor generation and hardware support when PC tries to scan or download updates through Windows Update.

Test showed that this was not the case at the time of revelation. It appears now though, that the updates KB4012218 and KB4012219 introduce that functionality on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (and the server versions).

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/22/kb4012218-kb4012219-windows-update-processor-generation-detection/

Edited by Joe C, 19 February 2018 - 01:11 PM.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

Yes, I was aware of that, but posting this and nothing else does not help you does it?  Other info will be needed, otherwise you only recourse is the VM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users