Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I retrieve my pics?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 arawajo

arawajo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 15 December 2004 - 06:03 PM

Can anyone help me find hundreds of pics that have suddenly disappeared from their folders? I am hoping its not virus related. The files appear to be there but when I click on them nothing happens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 15 December 2004 - 06:05 PM

Hello and welcome to BC arawajo

Have you tried to do a search for them using the search from the start menu? Maybe they have just been moved somewhere else. If they all end in .jpg, you can put *.jpg and it will look for all of them and show you the locations.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 arawajo

arawajo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 06:31 PM

Thank you for your prompt help Jason, I tried "Find" using *.jpg and it found hundreds of other pics, but not the missing ones unfortuately.
Arawajo.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 07:04 PM

Maybe they could be .bmp or .gif files. Check for those.
Posted Image

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:04 PM

It is possible that they are hidden.

How to unhide files

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:44 PM

The files appear to be there but when I click on them nothing happens.

The files are still there but double clicking them does not cause them to open? It's possible the file associations are just messed up. Can you post a representabive file name, including the three letter suffix?

e.g. photo2.jpg

Edited by ddeerrff, 15 December 2004 - 09:45 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 arawajo

arawajo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:03 AM

Thank you all for being so helpful. I have tried all of the ideas but still no luck. I think I should give you more information. Its actually happening on my daughters computer which is next to mine.

When we click on My Documents on her desktop we get a different result from when we go to C drive and click on My Documents. My Documents in C drive only has one folder of pics and they open OK, no problems there. With My documents on the desktop however, we click on the one folder there and then 22 folders of pics appear but they don't do anything when we click on them. These are the "lost" pics.

In the Address Bar the words WU Temp appear before the words My Documents when we click on the first folder. If we go to WU Temp on C drive there are the folders but they still seem empty. I don't know why they become WU Temp when we click on My Documents and I don't know where they went. If they somehow became Temp Files I suppose its possible they were deleted at some stage. Is it possible to retrieve them if this is the case?

When we downlad pics from the camera we always make a folder for them on desk top first and then as we go through them looking to see how they turned out we send them to My Documents and to a folder there called My Pictures.

What are we doing wrong and could a virus have stolen them or have we put them in a place where they are temporary without us knowing that? It all seems weird to me! Thank you in anticipation of your help people :thumbsup:
Arawajo.

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:59 AM

If they were deleted. They would show in "recycle bin" Is there anything in there? Whether or not they are in "recycle bin" and they were deleted. They are most probably gone. I had something sorta similar happen to me. I had sent my "My Documents" and "My Picture's" folders to the desktop. Thinking that it was only a shortcut and not the true original folders I deleted them. Then as I always do. I emptied the "recycle bin" Sadly lost forever. This all occured when using a "reg cleaner" I meant to send a "reg backup" to desktop. There is no retrieval process that I found to bring them back.

I'd ask your daughter what she may have done unknowingly to cause this.
Posted Image

#9 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:38 AM

I don't know if you have Norton protect recicle bin.. If you have, you could try recover the files from there..
Another thing you could do is if you know the name of files, search for them with search engine.. It's possible that you saved those photo's to other folder..
I know of one that could restore lost data.. It's PC-3000 Very good program for Hardware/software data recovery.. But I'm sure ther's more programs like that..
And unless you whipped your HD's free space, you have big chance to bring them back..
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#10 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:00 PM

i really and truely hope that it was not a virus... like
loveletter and its variants:

NAI's VIL (Virus Information Library)

if this is what got your jpgs... they are truely gone... or let me rephrase
that... i was never able to recover files renamed/overwritten/deleted by
this virus/mass emailer...

sorry im all doom and gloom... :thumbsup:

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#11 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:01 PM

Have you tried to search with them using a command prompt?

START->run->cmd will open up a DOS window. Type the code below to search the files and all subdirectorys.

dir *.jpg /s /p

If you know the exact filename, you can place it in place of *

If you know a few of the letters, then you can includes them for it to search all files with those letters.

Ex 1: You think the file starts with 'ara', so you could put ara*.jpg to search all picture files starting with ara.
Ex 2: You think the file contains 'ara', so you could put *ara*.jpg to search all files that have ara in the filename.

#12 arawajo

arawajo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:31 PM

I really like the way you all offer help and advice, hope I can repay the favour one day.
I will try the suggestions thank you Jason and Notorious.
I feel for you Scarlet and Rex, its heart breaking to lose pics.
I'll let you know if I can recover them.
Arawajo.

#13 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:25 PM

Just an FYI.. The WUTemp folder is (W)indows (U)pdate temp. It's possible the folder is protected in some manner. Restart the machine in DOS and see if you can access them from there.
Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users