Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD everytime I copied files from and to Ext HDD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 juzztianz

juzztianz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

Hello everyone!

A couple days ago I was downloading files to my computer in parts, and then I tried to move it to my external Harddisk (WD My Passport 1TB). Every time I copied files exceeded 14GB, it crashed into BSOD with many kind of stop codes. 

I have read the instructions of posting BSOD in this forum (well I am new here  :bananas: ).

At first I thought my External HDD was the problem, but after I tried to transfer data from and to my other external HDD (eventually it's WD too), the system kept crashing. I tried it even in the safe mode and it still crashed after transferring data of ~14GB.

Speccy Screenshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qpSxGPkZJBeDi0UxklqgBMz

It would be wonderful if anyone can help. I am avoiding reinstalling Windows since I will have to reinstall all of my games and works. Thank you in advance!

Note: I tried the Sysnative app, and it keeps waiting tasks done but it's never ending, so I kill the app and then zipping all the content of the folder. Hopefully it is ok

These are analysis from WhoCrashed (I learnt about this app from this forum too hehehe)

System Information (local)

Computer name: JUZZ-PC
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 16299
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: H97M-D3H, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 17028022272 bytes total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. This system is not configured for complete or automatic crash dumps. For best results, configure your system to write out complete or automatic crash dumps. Select Tools->Crash Dump Configuration from the main menu to configure your system to write out complete memory dumps.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Wed 2/14/2018 23:57:42 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\021418-7781-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nt_wrong_symbols.sys (nt_wrong_symbols)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF802BC085800, 0xFFFF9483D47C6668, 0xFFFF9483D47C5EB0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nt_wrong_symbols.sys .
Google query: nt_wrong_symbols.sys SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Wed 2/14/2018 23:57:42 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: nt_wrong_symbols.sys (nt_wrong_symbols)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF802BC085800, 0xFFFF9483D47C6668, 0xFFFF9483D47C5EB0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nt_wrong_symbols.sys .
Google query: nt_wrong_symbols.sys SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

On Wed 2/14/2018 23:29:06 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\021418-5328-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8037ACFC800, 0xFFFFE70737DF0668, 0xFFFFE70737DEFEB0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Wed 2/14/2018 23:24:04 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\021418-5640-02.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x34 (0x51352, 0xFFFFF18884A5A448, 0xFFFFF18884A59C90, 0xFFFFF80270E019A7)
Error: CACHE_MANAGER
Bug check description: This indicates that a problem occurred in the file system's cache manager.
Google query: nt_wrong_symbols.sys CACHE_MANAGER

On Wed 2/14/2018 23:17:54 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\021418-5421-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF803BA4FE800, 0xFFFFF4877FC3E668, 0xFFFFF4877FC3DEB0)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 juzztianz

juzztianz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

Update: Just now I tried to extract files within my internal HDD (size around 50GB) and the system crashed too.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:30 PM

Looks like hardware, start with this (will post more later on):

Please run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
Please run ALL of the tests and let us know the results.
FYI - These are the tests and what we usually see for the reports:

1 - Antivirus/antimalware scans:  In short, if there are Trojans or other serious malware - start over in the Am I Infected forums
2 - Memory diagnostics:  Run MemTest86+ for at least 3 passes.  If booting from UEFI, run MemTest86 instead.  Let us know if there were any errors reported
3 - Hard Drive diagnostics:  Don't sweat the details here.  In short, run the Seagate Seatools Long/Extended test from a bootable disk.  If unable to run it from a bootable disk (UEFI and some others), then run the Seagate Seatools for Windows from within Windows.  There are no diagnostics for SSD's, just run the Crystal Mark tests and let us know if there were any failures
4 - Furmark:  run the test until the temperature stabilizes.  Don't let it get much over 90ºC.  Let us know the temp it stabilizes at and if there were any problems running the test (other than slowness).
5 - Prime95:  run the Blend test for 24 hours (this may not be possible, but run it as long as you can.  Look for errors in the output, or for problems running the test (freezes/crashes)
6 - Video 2 (other video tests):  there's several tests here.  Run all of them.  I'm especially interested in the Video Memory Test.  Let us know the results of the test(s)
  - A - simtek.org memtest
  - B - Video memory stress test
  - C - Artifact Locator
  - D - OCCT - 4 built in tests for CPU, GPU, PSU
  - E - Video Memory Stress Test
7 - CPU tests:  run at least one test on your CPU and let us know the result.

Edited by usasma, 15 February 2018 - 02:30 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 juzztianz

juzztianz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:44 PM

Looks like hardware, start with this (will post more later on):

Please run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
Please run ALL of the tests and let us know the results.
FYI - These are the tests and what we usually see for the reports:

1 - Antivirus/antimalware scans:  In short, if there are Trojans or other serious malware - start over in the Am I Infected forums
2 - Memory diagnostics:  Run MemTest86+ for at least 3 passes.  If booting from UEFI, run MemTest86 instead.  Let us know if there were any errors reported
3 - Hard Drive diagnostics:  Don't sweat the details here.  In short, run the Seagate Seatools Long/Extended test from a bootable disk.  If unable to run it from a bootable disk (UEFI and some others), then run the Seagate Seatools for Windows from within Windows.  There are no diagnostics for SSD's, just run the Crystal Mark tests and let us know if there were any failures
4 - Furmark:  run the test until the temperature stabilizes.  Don't let it get much over 90ºC.  Let us know the temp it stabilizes at and if there were any problems running the test (other than slowness).
5 - Prime95:  run the Blend test for 24 hours (this may not be possible, but run it as long as you can.  Look for errors in the output, or for problems running the test (freezes/crashes)
6 - Video 2 (other video tests):  there's several tests here.  Run all of them.  I'm especially interested in the Video Memory Test.  Let us know the results of the test(s)
  - A - simtek.org memtest
  - B - Video memory stress test
  - C - Artifact Locator
  - D - OCCT - 4 built in tests for CPU, GPU, PSU
  - E - Video Memory Stress Test
7 - CPU tests:  run at least one test on your CPU and let us know the result.

Thank you for your reply, John.

I haven't started any hardware diagnostics and I'm going to do it now. I'll post the results here as soon as I finished all the diagnostics you recommend to do.

But, there shouldn't be any issues from the software side at all?

Thank you for your reply, John.

I haven't started any hardware diagnostics and I'm going to do it now. I'll post the results here as soon as I finished all the diagnostics you recommend to do.

But, there shouldn't be any issues from the software side at all?

Regards,

Justian

Edited by juzztianz, 15 February 2018 - 08:45 PM.

#5 juzztianz

juzztianz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:33 AM

John, 

While I am testing the HDD using HD Tune and SeaTool, there is a BSOD happened with code DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION. I haven't tested the memory stick, so I will keep you posted later. 

BTW, I came back to the SeaTool and at the first time (before DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD), the SeaTool detects my SSD. Now after BSOD, it doesn't appear on the drive list anymore. 

On Fri 2/16/2018 12:27:23 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\021618-5562-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF80018414370, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
Google query: nt_wrong_symbols.sys DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

On Fri 2/16/2018 12:27:23 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF80018414370, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
Google query: nt_wrong_symbols.sys DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Attached Files

Edited by juzztianz, 16 February 2018 - 12:34 AM.

#6 juzztianz

juzztianz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:34 AM

ignore this, double posted. please remove it

Edited by juzztianz, 16 February 2018 - 12:35 AM.

#7 juzztianz

juzztianz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

Hey John
I hope you are okay. Happy Chinese New Year btw (we are celebrating it here). I tried to move fast with the diagnostics.

HDD diagnostics were done, and all harddisks are in good condition. Continued to the memory diagnostic using MemTest86, the 8GB first memory stick on the first slot appears to be faulty. Errors appeared frequently in each pass.

Later on, I started diagnosing the second stick but still in the same first slot, 0 errors occurred so far. The test for this second 8GB stick is still ongoing. Later I will tried it too on the second, third and fourth slot.

Seems like I need to claim warranty for my memory stick, but is it confirmed that this is truly hardware faulty? Just to make sure since I don't really know how to analyze the dump files of the BSOD.

Awaiting your reply, John. Have a nice weekend.

Attached Files

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:37 PM

Happy Chinese New Year to you!

Contact the memory manufacturer for what tests they want to see on a warranty replacement.

Where I work, if it fails MemTest - we replace it (but we're not a warranty replacement center, just a PC shop)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 juzztianz

juzztianz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:57 AM

Hey John,

Sorry to not updating my PC condition here for days. After those CNY celebration, I suffered sore throat and severe cough (we have chinese pineapple-jam-filled cookies and stuffs to eat to celebrate the new year). LoL

For the memory stick, I have replaced them with the manufacturer here in Jakarta, and they happily helped me.

After that, I have never encountered any BSOD anymore so far. Playing games, even AC: Syndicate and Origins have never been smoother.  Thank you for your assistance, John, really appreciate it!

Regards,

Justian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users