Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - To windows 8.1 Driver Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dukejohn2000

dukejohn2000

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

So, I have an interesting scenario, and it's completely my fault, so I'll give Microsoft a break here... I bought a new laptop (An HP 15z-bw000- CT0) And I didn't want the windows 10, so I used a USB drive to install Windows 8.1, and during that installation process, I deleted all the partitions so that I'd be left with all of my HDD space "Unallocated"... So after that, I installed windows 8.1, everything worked perfectly... except.... I can't change the brightness on my screen.... Apparently, Windows doesn't even recognize that I have and AMD Video card, and instead chooses to use the "Microsoft Basic DIsplay Adapter" And I can't find the model of my Video card at all so I can actually download the proper drivers for Windows 8.1.... I know that It's an AMD Radeon R5, however, I do not know what the actual model is, and it's not listed anywhere on my computer... the only way I can think to do is disassemble the Laptop, and check the physical markings on the Video card. I've even checked the HP store where I bought it, and it doesn't list any specific models, only the "Radeon R5" but no model.

Spoiler

Any help on this matter would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by dukejohn2000, 14 February 2018 - 12:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:00 PM

Strange...

I doubt you will get any further replies.

Edited by medab1, 14 February 2018 - 12:01 PM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

The graphics is integrated into the AMD CPU. The HP support site only show support for Windows 10. What CPU does this computer have?

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 February 2018 - 12:44 PM.

#4 dukejohn2000

dukejohn2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

The graphics is integrated into the AMD CPU. The HP support site only show support for Windows 10. What CPU does this computer have?

According to the "System", The computer has an "AMD A9-9420 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G"

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

I went to AMD's site and no A9 APU with 5 graphics has Windows 8.1 drivers, only for Windows 10 and 7, and that was only for the A9-9400 and 9410. The 9420 was not listed on AMD's driver site. It's possible this 7th generation CPU is only supported by Windows 10. 

It may not work but download the AMD auto detection utility. That may find your APU.

https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

If the above does not work contact AMD customer support.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

Only drivers on the HP site for that system are for Windows 10

That might be your only option if you want it to work correctly

In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users