Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Citypage.today extension

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 happyindian

happyindian

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:52 AM

Hello,

My home laptop is infected by the citypage.today extension for about 3 weeks now and I have tried everything that I could but I still see the effects on my laptop. I have used multiple free software to remove this but the problem persists. My issue is exactly the same or very similar to this thread. Aura aka Yoan helped the poster get rid of the virus, can some one please help me as well?

If you need any information from the system before you can start the solutioning please let me know and I will be more than happy to post it. One other thing that I see everytime I reboot my laptop is a message on boot screen "Scanning & Repairing Drive); I am attaching pic of the same here. 

Thanks!
HI

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2018 - 09:13 AM.
No logs, moved from MRL to Am I Infected - Hamlus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:39 AM

Welcome to BC....

You don't mention the actual programs you scanned with. So, use the programs below to clean, remove adware and remove malware.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Malwarebytes - Clean Mode

• Download and install the free version of Malwarebytes
    Note: If you have Malwarebytes already installed, you don't need to install it again. Simply start from the next bullet point
  • Once Malwarebytes is installed, launch it and let it update its database. You might have to click on the little arrow by Scan Status in the middle right pane for it to do so
  • Once the database update is complete, click on the Scan tab, then select the Threat Scan button and click on Start Scan
  • Let the scan run, the time required to complete the scan depends of your system and computer specs
  • Once the scan is complete, make sure that the first checkbox at the top is checked (which will automatically check every detected item), then click on the Quarantine Selected button
    • If it asks you to restart your computer to complete the removal, do so
  • Click on Export Summary after the deletion (in the bottom-left corner) and select Copy to Clipboard. Paste the content in your next reply

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop. (compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10)

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) to your desktop.

• Warning! Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit needs to be run from an account with administrator rights.
  • Double click on downloaded file. OK self extracting prompt.
  • MBAR will start. Click "Next" to continue.
  • Click in the following screen "Update" to obtain the latest malware definitions.
  • Once the update is complete select "Next" and click "Scan".
  • When the scan is finished and no malware has been found select "Exit".
  • If malware was detected, make sure to check all the items and click "Cleanup". Reboot your computer.
  • Open the MBAR folder located on your Desktop and paste the content of the following files in your next reply:
  • "mbar-log-{date} (xx-xx-xx).txt"

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 happyindian

happyindian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

Welcome to BC....

You don't mention the actual programs you scanned with. So, use the programs below to clean, remove adware and remove malware.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Malwarebytes - Clean Mode

• Download and install the free version of Malwarebytes
    Note: If you have Malwarebytes already installed, you don't need to install it again. Simply start from the next bullet point
  • Once Malwarebytes is installed, launch it and let it update its database. You might have to click on the little arrow by Scan Status in the middle right pane for it to do so
  • Once the database update is complete, click on the Scan tab, then select the Threat Scan button and click on Start Scan
  • Let the scan run, the time required to complete the scan depends of your system and computer specs
  • Once the scan is complete, make sure that the first checkbox at the top is checked (which will automatically check every detected item), then click on the Quarantine Selected button
    • If it asks you to restart your computer to complete the removal, do so
  • Click on Export Summary after the deletion (in the bottom-left corner) and select Copy to Clipboard. Paste the content in your next reply

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop. (compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10)

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) to your desktop.

• Warning! Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit needs to be run from an account with administrator rights.
  • Double click on downloaded file. OK self extracting prompt.
  • MBAR will start. Click "Next" to continue.
  • Click in the following screen "Update" to obtain the latest malware definitions.
  • Once the update is complete select "Next" and click "Scan".
  • When the scan is finished and no malware has been found select "Exit".
  • If malware was detected, make sure to check all the items and click "Cleanup". Reboot your computer.
  • Open the MBAR folder located on your Desktop and paste the content of the following files in your next reply:
  • "mbar-log-{date} (xx-xx-xx).txt"

Thanks fir the reply back buddy215! I am at work hence could not gather the list of softwares used but off the list you have I used MalawareBytes and AWDCleaner. That said I will follow the steps you listed and report back later in the evening.

Thanks,

HI.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

Those programs update regularly. So, since you have those two it would be a good idea to run scans using them again.

You should check in your list of installed programs for citypage or other programs you don't recognize as being intentionally installed by you.

No need to quote my posts...

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

If the above programs don't resolve the problem then you should start a new topic in the malware removal forum. It is possible your

computer has the same difficult to remove malware since your computer is showing the same symptom of "Scanning & Repairing Drive" of a new Smart malware.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

Edited by buddy215, 14 February 2018 - 01:29 PM.

#6 happyindian

happyindian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

I am unable to paste or link the export logs, can someone help me with this basic questions. Been trying to do it for the past 15 mins... I even tried to use paste bin and add a link.. did not work.

Thanks,

HI

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

Which logs? The FRST logs or Malwarebytes logs and AdwCleaner logs?

#8 happyindian

happyindian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

Malwarebytes logs (X2) and AdwCleaner logs

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

If you are following the directions for posting those logs given in the instructions and its not working...then start a new topic

in the malware removal forum. If you are unable to post the FRST logs requested in the instructions then be sure to mention

that at the top of your new topic.

Repeat instructions for starting the new topic:

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

#10 happyindian

happyindian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for your help! I have created a new topic (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/671733/infected-with-citypagetoday-extension-and-need-help/)

Please mark this one as closed.

Thanks again,

HI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users