Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to remove effects of throttlestop

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 totskibarazki

totskibarazki

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:43 AM

hello, you guys may or may not recognize me from the "first cpu core too high" thread haha

so to explain, it started when around early 2017 my laptop started to get well below 0.5Ghz even when on AC power and with max processor state in the power options. I was getting frustrated because i cant get anything done, so I downloaded throttlestop to alleviate the problem. It did work, and I even bumped the freq from the base 2.4ghz to 2.6ghz because why not and it seemed like no voltage changes was needed to make the system stable.

when i posted the thread that i mentioned earlier, someone from another forum stated that it might come from malware or a rootkit. being busy from academics, I decided to just do a full system reset (of course after backing up all my important files to an external drive) instead of going through the tedious process of removing malware manually. Being the klutz I am, i forgot to undo the throttlestop settings before i did the reset. Now my laptop is stuck at 2.6ghz, and now that we're starting to go on field work and im mostly away from an AC outlet, my laptop dies way too early. i tried flashing to a newer bios in the hopes of also refreshing the cpu multiplier, but it still remains. is there any way to remove the effects of throttlestop?

Laptop: Acer Aspire V3-575G
CPU: Intel i5-6200U

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 940M

RAM: 8GB
Windows Version: Windows 1709 (OS Build 16299.192)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users