Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page File Usage With Ie 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:31 AM

Hi Guys,

I've posted this previously, but may have been in the wrong section .. not quite sure what it falls under.

I'm using IE 7 and usually have 3 maybe 4 applications running at once .... nothing the system can't handle.
I use gmail, so a lotof the time that's open on one browser tab, and quite a lot of the time im using the gmail chat facility that allows you to chat with your other gmail contacts while logged into the mail service.
Inevitably, i get the message that windows is running lo on virtual memory, even though the system shouldn't be under too much pressure.
When i check the task manager, the Page File Usage can be in excess of 1gig at times .. and yet, as soon as i close the browser window, it plumits all the ay back to 200 or so Mb's.

Can anyone tell me, is this normal ??
Is it the fault of IE 7 or is it the gmail service??

It no major emergency, but i'd still like an explanation as to whats happening !

Thanks in advance !
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:38 AM

Your page file should be one and a half times the amount of ram installed but that is just a rule of thumb.

If you are running out of pagefile resource increase its size.

How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482/en-us

How much ram do you have?
It sounds like not enough.

By the way, the pagefile is much slower than ram.
You might benefit by installing more ram.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 October 2006 - 07:41 AM.

#3 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for the advice ....

Have 512 ram, but its only barely enough fthe amount of work i throw at it at times.
Wont be spending money on RAM though, am upgrading laptop shortly so will struggle on for now.

Any idea why this new version of Explorer and Gmail in particular chew up so much memory ??

If there's sufficient RAM ( new system will have 2gb ) .. does that mean that it won't call on the page file at all ??

Thanks again for the help
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:18 AM

The page file will always be called on by the Windows memory manager because it pushes memory for open aps that aren't actively using it into page file to make room for active aps or processes that are.

When other aps aren't using ram Windows will use it for its own maintenance processes.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:18 AM

I suspect that there's a problem with your IE7 installation. Removing it and installing the latest available build "may" solve it.

1) No, this is not normal.
2) It is probably the fault of IE7
3) RAM is relatively cheap now - another 512 mB shouldn't be more than $40 US
4) IE7 is still beta software. As such, you can expect some problems with it. It's to everyone's benefits to report these problems with beta software to Microsoft. That way they can iron out the code before releasing the final version.
5) Generally speaking, with sufficient RAM it won't access the pagefile at all.
BUT!!! There are programs that do require the pagefile to operate - quite a lot of games do this. I haven't checked on IE7's use of the pagefile so I don't know if it does or doesn't use it.

Edited by usasma, 01 October 2006 - 08:19 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users