Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Xp Home Edition To Prfessional?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moha

moha

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:57 AM

I just like to know the advantages of xp prof and why it is preferrable to home edition and if a pc has xp home edition installed how can i change it to xp prfessional . thank ypu all in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:56 AM

XP Pro has lots of advantages for the home user if they want more security and control over their computer.

For one thing, MS support for XP Home will end two years after the release of Vista. XP Pro, considered a business product will have five additional years of extended support after that date.

Other features such as Automated System Recovery comes in XP Pro and is not available in XP Home.

So does remote desktop access capability, group policy editor, ability to join a domain, full user policy management.

Other features not available in XP Home but available in XP Pro are the following corporate management features:

Folder Redirection, Group Policy settings, Local Policy settings, System Policy settings (Poledit.exe), Roaming User Profiles, Offline Files and Folders, Remote Software Installation and Maintenance
Remote Installation Services (RIS)

Difference between XP Home and XP Pro

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...ls/wxpdifs.html

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/how.../choosing2.mspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 October 2006 - 08:01 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:28 AM

I differ from most others on the opinion of XPHome vs XPPro.

For the normal home user, the advantages of XPPro just don't seem to justify the added expense. On my systems at home we do not use them (I've got 2 XPPro and 2 XPHome systems)

Also, for specific uses, there are freeware applications that will allow XPHome to do almost as much as XPPro.

So, it's my opinion that it's a waste of money unless you need to join a domain, use Group Policy, or have another specific need that requires XPPro (for example, the file server in my wife's office requires XPPro to allow the sharing needed for the custom program that she uses).

I'd suggest reviewing Enthusiast's links to see if you need any/all of the features. Then, if it's only minor stuff, maybe we can recommend some freeware alternatives.

Finally, the upgrade process is easy. But I'd suggest that you do a clean install instead (you'd have to backup your files and settings to do this). The reason for this is to keep from carrying over any corruption that may exist in the old installation. For example, I used the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to transfer my wife's settings from XPHome to XPPro.

The process went smoothly, and I clean installed XPPro on her system. Then used the wizard to bring her settings back in (this was from a Compaq system to a custom built system also). Now her cursor has a small, flashing CD over it that flashes once ever 2 seconds.

That was almost 2 years ago and the problem's still there! I haven't been able to fix it, and she won't consent to reinstalling all of her programs and settings from scratch!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 moha

moha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

thank you Enthusiast
thank you Usasma
I do appreciate your wonderful effort

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:26 AM

The two biggest reasons for XP Pro for the home user at this point:

Five more years of Extended Microsoft Support for XP Pro after support for XP Home ends two years after Vista is released and more choices for user classification other than administrator and limited user which is all that is available in XP Home.

There is no way to prevent any administrator from viewing your documents (or anyone else's) with XP Home. There is with XP Pro.

If you have children who will use the computer to play games, many games will not work with XP Home's limited account because they necessitate registry entries so you have to give them administrator accounts to do so which will allow them to access your documents and the ability to change all settings on the computer.

In addition, remote desktop (std with XP Pro) is a feature for which Go To My PC or PC Anywhere and other similar aps charge significant fees to be able to accomplish.
If you need that, it alone is worth the difference.

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 October 2006 - 03:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users