Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag Program?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Slrman

Slrman

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:55 AM

Would anyone know of a defrag program better than the one that is built into XP? Something free or very cheap would be good :thumbsup: Or maybe most feel that the XP utility is good enough.

I defrag my hard drive on the end of each month so it is never very bad, but I have to wonder if I am getting as good a job as I should? No, I don't have any particular problems and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks to all.

Edited by Slrman, 01 October 2006 - 07:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

IMO the best free defragger for XP is the one that's built in.

I use VoptXP myself - but it's a quirkly little program that not everyone likes.
Diskkeeper 10 is also very good.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:25 AM

For speed and ease of use, the defrag utility that comes with WindowsXP, especially for the casual user, is certainly the optimal choice.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Viet Vet

Viet Vet

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:36 AM

Would anyone know of a defrag program better than the one that is built into XP? Something free or very cheap would be good :thumbsup: Or maybe most feel that the XP utility is good enough.

I defrag my hard drive on the end of each month so it is never very bad, but I have to wonder if I am getting as good a job as I should? No, I don't have any particular problems and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks to all.

Check this out.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16174635~viewpoll=1

Posted Image
Support Our Troops

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:46 AM

Cool link! Thanks Viet Vet!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,842 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:29 PM

Slrman You might also want to take a look at this topic in which several defragmenters are mentioned and later in the topic described. There is one posted near the end of the topic also that hasn't been described, but it will be. :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users