Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:20 AM

Hey guys, I want to get 4GB of RAM in this machine but don't know if there is any wiggle room as far as what versions of DDR2, PC2-XXXX I can use.  I do have some stuff laying around that may work.

I guess if I had Two 2GB Chips with the same timing that were PC2-5300 that would work.  I guess what I'm asking is, would these older chips be more forgiving as to the timing if they were mismatched etc.?

This is from Speccy, but the pc now has Linux Mint Mate 17.3 on it.

Memory slots
Total memory slots 2
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 0
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 2048 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 316.6 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 21 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 92 %
Total Physical 1.94 GB
Available Physical 152 MB
Total Virtual 3.87 GB
Available Virtual 1.94 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 2
Slot #1
Type DDR2
Size 1024 MBytes
Manufacturer Qimonda
Max Bandwidth PC2-5300 (333 MHz)
Part Number 64T128021EDL3SB2
Serial Number 66431009
Week/year 35 / 07

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,024 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

pcpunk,

What I'd suggest is that you run Crucial's system scanner on the machine if they have a version available for Linux.

When it comes to any given form factor you can generally pair (or triple, or quad) faster and slower versions in the same machine and all will run at the speed of the slowest of the group.

If you've got modules lying around, and this is a desktop or an older laptop with a memory bay, your best bet is to just try 'em in whatever possible combinations you might be able to fit to see if one works.  That's how I've proceeded in the past when I did not have sets of matched memory lying around but wanted to see if I could upgrade a machine with what I did have lying around.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

Brian touched on multi-channel RAM which is important.  Dual, triple, or quad channel increases the throughput speed effectively doubling, tripling, or quadrupling the throughput speed.  Your motherboard is capable of supporting dual channel.  The manual for your computer suggests two 2GB modules 448003-001 if you are going to run in dual channel.  I was able to find eight of these modules at Impact Computers & Electronics for $39.99 apiece.  These modules are new and usually retail at eBay for around sixty dollars apiece.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

But here they are for $13.95 for two of them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4gb-2gb-X2-ddr2-LAPTOP-MEMORY-RAM-sodimm-Dell-d520-d620-d820-d830-pc2-5300-667/161281816641?hash=item258d253841:g:~XEAAMXQlgtTAaiB

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

Those modules are used, the ones I suggested are new.  You take your chances with used modules even if they are warranted.  You would then have the hassle of returning the modules and hope the seller returns your money.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

Hey pc,

I agree that matched memory modules are the proven way to go.

I mix different memory modules all of the time and have had excellent results.

If you think you have some that may work give them a try and see what happens.

Edited by The-Toolman, 13 February 2018 - 12:53 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

Excepting Samsung memory vintage 2003-5 (too old for this PC), I have had no troubles with used memory and the government spent 20+million dollars in a study which determined you could bury them in the ground for 500 years and 98% would still be good.

OK, brand new and $20.49 for the pair:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hynix-4GB-2X2GB-PC2-5300-DDR2-667MHZ-Sodimm-667-MHZ-Laptop-RAM-Memory/232644636779?hash=item362ab3706b:g:bOYAAOSwbWZaa6b9

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

I know for a fact that the modules I suggested are compatible with the OP's computer.  You would have to call  Hynix to find out if their modules are compatible.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,024 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

The service manual states 512 or 1024 or 2048-MB (667-MHz, PC2-5300, 1-DIMM, and looking at the service manual (if it's actually the correct one) it seems to state that there is but one slot.

There's zero doubt that SODIMM that is PC2-5300 should work no matter who makes it. Now I'm wondering if 4GB is possible based on the service manual pcpunk gave the link to.

I, too, have installed used memory on many occasions and it just keeps chugging along for years.  In fact, I've never had a service call that involved a failed memory module and none have failed in the machines I've owned.   I know that it can happen, but everything points to this being a relatively rare occurrence.

Edited by britechguy, 13 February 2018 - 01:23 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:18 PM

[britechguy posted]

I, too, have installed used memory on many occasions and it just keeps chugging along for years.  In fact, I've never had a service call that involved a failed memory module and none have failed in the machines I've owned.   I know that it can happen, but everything points to this being a relatively rare occurrence.

Yep I've never had a problem with used memory which I've purchased from reputable sellers on ebay.

Memory is pretty much bullet proof from my experience unless a user applies to much voltage to it when over clocking on the fly.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:33 PM

Good stuff guys and thanks very much.  I will certainly come up with a few good questions, in the meantime will look through all my RAM Chips to see what I have.  If nothing, I'll dig some up somewhere as these old Vista Machines are laying around just waiting for me to dig out the RAM.  I've probably thrown away RAM that I could have used for this machine this past year.

Should have been more clear about not wanting to buy RAM, but will find some.  This machine will be donated or sold cheap so it don't go to the Recycle Center.  Either way I'll review all that in case needed.

1. One question. If Dual Channel, which I believe it is, Can the Chips Differ in Timing?

And if it were Single Channel would it matter More that they were the Same Timing?

It's good to know that I can just test them out without to much drama.  I'll do this tonight.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:26 AM

In your initial post you labeled the real factor in memory performance "Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 21 clocks (cycles)" which is how many clock cycles (400Mhz) you have to wait before you initiate a second read or write operation.  When the memory is identical (or the PC thinks it is), there is a slight (3-5%) performance boost because the PC will interleave, meaning that it switches between the two modules for alternate read or write operations.  It is not the "huge" performance boost that many believe because you still have to wait those 21 (or more) clock cycles before you initiate a second operation or you risk getting unstable results.

And, given the fact that the memory, regardless, is much slower than the CPU but much (10+ times) faster than the hard disk drive and the net result is that the difference between interleaved (matching memory) and non-interleaved is negligible.

It is more important to have more memory than to have it be a matched pair.  Vista really wants a minimum of 2.5 gigabytes to be happy.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

Thanks DavisMcCarn :thumbup2:   The pc does only have Linux on it and will stay that way. I have read much about RAM, but there is nothing like having the knowledgeable explain it.  Need to read up more so I can handle this stuff on my own.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users