Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering a formatted External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Runsi

Runsi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:12 AM

Hello everyone! 

My name is Andreas and i have a problem with an old WD My Book Elite (1tb).

I have used this hard drive for pictures and videos but at some point last year it stopt to work.

i dont have the power coard for the  case anymore so i took out the hard drive and put it in a SATA docking station and now it only shows "system reserved"  when i plugg it in.

after looking through some topics on this forum i have done some scans with "HDTune pro" and "MiniTool Partition Wizard" and i can see that the drive seems to be healthy and there is an lost partion (disc problem 1 pic)) as you can see in the screen shot (sorry that the text is in swedish).

what im trying to do now is recovering the files on the hard drive with "EaseUS Data recovery" after trying to restore the lost partion with "MiniTool Partition Wizard" wich did not work. 

My question now is that i can see alot of .swf files ( disc problem 2 pic) that i dont know what they are.. they are pretty big to. Are they like some of my old files but compressed?

Im using windows 10

Im looking forward hearing for you guys!

Regards Andreas Runsö

PS. Sorry for the bad english

Attached Files

Edited by Runsi, 13 February 2018 - 09:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

I think you see all these swf files because WD encrypts it's files using a proprietary bridge card but I could be wrong. 

https://carltonbale.com/western-digital-mybook-drive-lock-encryption-failure-and-recovery/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/wd-my-book-drives-and-encryption-automatically-enabled.2460318/

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=24419&start=

Edit: I would return the drive to the enclosure and find a power cable for the enclosure then work to recover the files using the orginal enclosure.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 February 2018 - 11:07 AM.

#3 Runsi

Runsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for the awnser!

Well that sucks :/

Anyway i put the hard drive back into the enclosure as you said and the only power cable i have in my apartment that match is the cable for my router and i kind of need it running but i tried to set it up for a few minutes and it works!

Although i had to formatte it to get it to work.. So i ran "Recuva" on it for a few minutes and it found some of my old files! ill get a cable that works tomorrow and will try to get everything going. 

Is "Recuva" the best tool for this sort of thing or do you have any other recommendations? 

Thanks again!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

Personally, I would not have formatted the drive. I would have scanned the drive again with Easeus or used Testdisk to possibly recover the partition table. Testdisk can also copy files found in lost partitions to the recovery drive. 

Easeus may pick up additional files where Recuva cannot. Testdisk has a companion program called PhotoRec that can scan and recover files but the files are recovered in real time and all file names are generic with the correct file extension. You would need to open and rename them accordingly. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 February 2018 - 04:01 PM.

#5 Runsi

Runsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:14 AM

Personally, I would not have formatted the drive. I would have scanned the drive again with Easeus or used Testdisk to possibly recover the partition table. Testdisk can also copy files found in lost partitions to the recovery drive. 

Easeus may pick up additional files where Recuva cannot. Testdisk has a companion program called PhotoRec that can scan and recover files but the files are recovered in real time and all file names are generic with the correct file extension. You would need to open and rename them accordingly. 

Hello again! Now i have done a full Easus scan and it found all my missing files. I restored the most important pictures but when i open them it just say "Cant open file" so now im trying with "PhotoRec" to see if that works. 

im adding a pic for how it looks when i try to open the file Attached File  cant open file.png   58.31KB   1 downloads(Det går inte att öppna filen = Cant open file)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:57 AM

The format before the file scan may have corrupted your files. If PhotoRec cannot recover and open them then I am afraid they are lost. Remember that PhotoRec recovers files in real time so make sure your recovery drive has enough free space. You can select the file extensions of the files that are the most important if you do not have enough space on the recovery drive.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 February 2018 - 07:58 AM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

Also, PhotoRec is "stupid" in that it will not recover files with the names you gave them and you will often get multiple copies of the same file because it will recover anything (of the type or types you specify) where it can find a string of data blocks on the drive that represent a file from start to finish, even if that file has been deleted or moved.  Since files do get rearranged on a drive when you move them, disk defragmentation is done, etc., there are often many copies of the same file most of which are in data blocks that the operating system has marked as free for reuse.  PhotoRec looks at all blocks, including those marked as free, in an attempt to reconstruct as much of the user data as it possibly can.

The last time I used PhotoRec to actually recover someone's photo archive (10 years worth) the recovered files were numbering thousands more than the originals had.  This is because the situation I described above happened, again and again, for files that had been shifted around on the hard drive, often many many times, over the years that drive had been in use.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users