Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender broken/bugged

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheSuspect

TheSuspect

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

I've been having problems with Windows Defender for a while now, and I can't seem to do a thing about it. All options under settings are greyed out (real-time protection, cloud-delivered etc.) however on the main menu all items have the little green symbol with the hook on them. Whenever I try to click on scan history the program crashes.

Real-time protection still seems to be active, however, as I get warned when trying to install a malicious software and the files get quarantined automatically. I can't, however, get them back or allow them since I can't access the scan history. Disabling via gpedit.msc did not do anything, sfc /scannow and similar actions did not come up with any errors and installing another AntiVir software in hopes of the defender automatically disabling itself did not work either.

This really bothers me, help is much appreciated!

System information (in case it somehow helps solve the problem)
Windows version: 10.0.16299 Build 16299
64-bit based system
Model is a Dell XPS 15

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,796 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:34 AM

First, uninstall any third party antivirus you have installed.  You can be sure that Windows Defender will most likely not "reactivate" correctly if one is present.

My first suggestion would be trying what's noted in:

Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

If that doesn't work then I'd take a full system image backup and then try a Windows Reset using the "Keep My Apps and Files" option.

Finally, if that doesn't work, I'd make a separate backup of your user data and try Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.

Edited by britechguy, 13 February 2018 - 10:36 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 TheSuspect

TheSuspect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

I tried the SFC and DISM, nothing came up. I'd hate to reset the PC but I guess that's my only choice.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 439 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:48 AM

Hello TheSuspect

Before doing a reset, If you are sure no other Security Software is installed as britechguy advised, follow these instructions please...

Read and follow the directions there.

If the above doesn't help...

From the Taskbar Search Box, type regedit.exe

1. Backup the Windows 10 registry...
a. Right click Best match entry regedit.exe Run command and choose Run as administrator If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

b. Registry Editor opens... In the left panel of Registry Editor, locate and click the following registry key...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Policies/Microsoft/Windows Defender

c. From the Registry Editor Toolbar Click File > Click Export.

d. In the Export Registry File dialog box, select the location to which you want to save the backup copy, and then type a name for the backup file in the File name field. May I suggest saving to your desktop and name the file WDBackup.reg Click Save.

2. In the right pane of the Registry Editor, Right click and hover New > select DWORD 32bit, You will see a New Value #1

a. Rename the New Value #1 entry to: DisableAntiSpyware, NOTE There are no spaces in the name you've just entered, Press Enter, Leave the REG_DWORD and the 0x00000000 (0) entries untouched.

b. When finished You should have Name: DisableAntiSpyware Type: REG_DWORD Data: 0x00000000 (0)

c. Close Registry Editor and Restart your computer.

The Windows Defender problem should no longer exist!

Only perform the following should you wish or need to restore the Registry Key to the original state

Locate and right click the wd.reg file you saved to  your desktop and choose Merge, If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Click Yes in the Warning box, the restore is complete when the confirmation box is shown, Click OK
You have restored the Registry to its original state.

Hope this saves you the inconvenience of perfoeming a reset!

Old Rocker

#5 TheSuspect

TheSuspect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:43 PM

Thank you for your help Old Rocker, unfortunately, none of the above solutions helped. I checked my Windows Defender version and it is up to date, the .bat file I created suddenly closed after a while without a message which I presume is not how it is supposed to work. I decided to download the manual update from the definitions site however upon executing the file as administrator and normal nothing happened... Any Ideas? Or is the reset really my only option

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,796 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

I'd say your wisest path at this point is first doing a Reset, using the following options in the following order:

1)  Keep my apps and files [which hopefully works and you can stop after this reset is done]

2)  Keep my files [in which case you'll have to reinstall any third-party or Store apps or application programs you had]

and if neither of those works, then Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.

You should take a full system image backup of your system as is, and also a separate user data backup [for all users], before doing any of the above.

What you are seeing is extremely atypical.  The only reason I would suggest a Reset or Clean Install is because something like this is suggestive that there could be other things lurking that simply haven't surfaced yet.  I hate "being pecked to death by ducks" and would rather just bite the bullet and get a clean slate as far as the Windows 10 OS goes.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

Hi, with windows ten if you remove edge or defender you cannot get them back without a reinstall, sadly defender if corrupt will not repair, mindful of this, MS made a reset option available (as per britechguy's post). However, If you could back up your data, It would be best if you did a fresh clean install.

#8 TheSuspect

TheSuspect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:26 PM

So the reset keeping my data and deleting Apps did still not fix the problem... the Same thing keeps happening which is super annoying.

I downloaded a Virus test file and Defender removed it immediately which is good but I can't re-allow the file since it disappeared out of the scan log.

Clean installing windows is a huge pain so I think I'll just let the problem persist for now.

Edited by TheSuspect, 15 February 2018 - 06:29 PM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,796 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

Clean installing Windows 10 is really not a huge pain at all.   And I hasten to add I'm talking *only* about doing a completely clean install of Windows 10.  Using the ISO file it's easy to have the whole thing done in under an hour (if you've got decent download speed for any updates since the last ISO was put up).

This is completely separate from reinstalling significant numbers of apps/application programs.  It that's part of the deal then that can add a very significant amount of time and effort.

Are you using a Microsoft account linked Win10 user account?   If so, some of your settings will be stored in the cloud and automatically brought back to the machine when you establish that account on it again.  I still review all privacy settings any time I do a Windows 10 reset or clean reinstall.

~ Lauren Bacall

#10 TheSuspect

TheSuspect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

Well, I guess I don't have a choice, do you have a recommendation on a good backup tool? I know Windows has a built-in one but they've been failing me lately so I don't trust them a lot anymore.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,796 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

I like EaseUS To Do Backup Free for the ease of its interface.  Macrium Reflect is excellent, too, and AOMEI Backupper is good, too.

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users