Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware? Firefox won't access any web sites

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gentech

gentech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

On every web site I try to access in Firefox I get the Your Connection is not Secure notice.  I think the Mac is now infected with malware. Right before this began I was on a web site and a popup appeared, which I now believe was a fake Flash update popup. I clicked OK thinking I was getting rid of it but instead I believe it installed malware. What to do? I have already tried Malwarebytes and it removed a few things but the problem still exists.

The owner of [badsite.com] has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

This site uses HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) to specify that Firefox may only connect to it securely. As a result, it is not possible to add an exception for this certificate.

Continuing on,  when I click Advanced I see

[web address] uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates. An additional root certificate may need to be imported. Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER 

And when clicking on the error here is what it says:

Peer’s Certificate issuer is not recognized.

HTTP Strict Transport Security: true
HTTP Public Key Pinning: true

Certificate chain:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:23 AM

I'd update and then run malwarebytes again to see if it picks up anything else. Also try Avast; I use it and haven't had a problem. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

However, that is a legitimate warning. If the website owner did not configure their HTTPS certificate properly, Firefox won't allow you to connect to the site or add an exception. In this case, it appears whoever issued the certificate for that site is not a publicly recognized certificate issuer.

We run into similar issues where I work when an internal application uses a certificate issued by our internal CA, rather than a PKI certificate.

If you read down that link further, some AV products are known to interfere with site certificates, especially those that use web guard-like protections. If you have AV installed, you might want to check the settings.

#4 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

maybe it has something to do with this - the issue has my very expensive Apple totally screwed up.  Don't know what OS or Firefox Version you are using but anyway.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-osx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users