Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying to understand Microsoft, Windows, Outlook accounts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:31 AM

(Topic might be better placed in a different board)

(I have no Microsoft account so asking here and not on Microsoft website)

I am trying to understand Microsoft account and Outlook account.

I know someone who has a Microsoft account, but does not use it, and does not know how - I am only slightly more knowledgable.  That person has an email registered with the Microsoft account but the email is from a popular email service provider.  Also the person obviously also has a password for the Microsoft account.  The person is registered for the account with a FirstName and a LastName (I'm not telling the person's name here).

So regardless of that person knowing or not, the person can visit login.live.com, and sign in with the non-microsost email address, and the microsoft password.  THEN, on the main signed-in page, there is a person icon of very generic looking kind, and this can show an "Account" button or link.  On that page, there is a little link on the left side, "View email".  Clicking this opens what looks like a normal email webpage, and there can be found several expected features of an email interface page.  When or if this person uses this page to write and send an email, the recipient could soon be able to read the sent message.

So now upon the recipeint checking the message, it is shown as sent FROM, the non-microsoft email address with which the M.S. account holder used for registering their M.S. account.  This is NOT any of @live, or @msn, or @hotmail, or @outlook.com

This then appears to show that this MS account holder does NOT have an Email account with Microsoft.  If the previously described recipient were to reply to the email sent from the MS account holder, the email does not go to any Microsoft email account; but goes TO the email account with which the MS holder used in registering the MS account.  

Again, this looks like one can register for a MS account but not have an MS email account (such as Outlook.com).  If one wants to one can also register for an Outlook Email account, and attach this to the Microsoft account.  

Something not clear is, does the MS account holder without also an MS-email account, have a MS username or not?

Please help fill in any details I am missing.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

When one sets up a Microsoft Account using an existing e-mail address that e-mail address is your Microsoft Account username.  At the same time when you sign up for a Microsoft Account a randomly generated Outlook.com account is created that is linked to it (or at least that's been the case since Windows 10 came out).  That Outlook.com account is, effectively, a dead account unless you do some further setup with it.

The introductory, and only, message I have every received on that account contained the following:
------------------------------------------------

Bring in your email
Have another email account like Gmail? Bring your email into Outlook.com so it's easier to keep up with all of your messages.
Set it up

Connect to Facebook and Twitter
See your friends' Facebook updates and Tweets in your inbox rather than ads, and keep all your contact information in sync so you never have to update your address book.
Connect now

Import your contacts
Save time hunting for email addresses. Quickly import your contacts from other services like Facebook, LinkedIn and Gmail.
Add contacts

Get Outlook.com on your mobile phone
It's quick and easy to set up Outlook.com on your mobile phone so you can access your email wherever you are. Outlook.com is available on Windows Phone, iPhone, Android and more.
Set it up
Sound easy? It is. Thanks for signing up.
The Outlook.com Team
------------------------------------------------
I never did any of those things.   Minutes ago I logged in to my Microsoft Account, clicked on the "View inbox" link for Microsoft mail on the main account page, and the Outlook.live.com site opened to the inbox for that randomly generated account, which still has only that introductory e-mail message.  My address is outlook_{a long random alphanumeric sequence}@outlook.com.
I intentionally composed and sent a message from that Outlook account to another of my Gmail accounts, and the incoming message shows up with the address noted above.  If, however, I attempt to reply to that message, which I did, I receive the following back:
-------------------------------------------------
Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
Brian Vogel (outlook_{long random sequence here}@outlook.com)
A communication failure occurred during the delivery of this message. Please try to resend the message later. If the problem continues, contact your email admin.

Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: DM3NAM03HT197.mail.protection.outlook.com
Remote Server returned '550 5.5.0 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable.'[/size]
-------------------------------------------------
The only way I can see what's happening for your friend happening is if they did, at one point or another, do the "integration" of their existing e-mail address into their randomly assigned Outlook address via the "Bring in your email" mechanism.  Once that's done I would imagine that a "Reply-To:" field gets placed on every message outgoing from the Outlook Account such that replies to it will instead be routed to the other e-mail address, though I can't be certain of that.  All you need to do is to look at the full headers on a given e-mail message to see what standard fields are there and whether a "Reply-To:" or other rerouting mechanism is present.
None of this happens automatically, but only through actual effort by the end user (unless something has changed since I registered for my Microsoft Account using a Gmail address back in 2015).

Edited by britechguy, 13 February 2018 - 11:43 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users