Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen Randomly Goes Black

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mickchristiansen14

mickchristiansen14

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:07 PM

Hello! This is my first time posting on the forum and I hope I've posted in the correct section. Here is the problem I am having. 

I have a Dell Inspiron E1405 that is probably about 11 years old. Recently the screen started to randomly go black. It has done this 3 times so far tonight in the 3 hours I've been using it. It is starting to get really annoying. The thing that I find interesting is that the LCD stays powered on as you can still see the back light. The computer is still on and functioning as music continues to play and so on. The only way to get it to come back on without rebooting is to connect an external monitor to the VGA port and press the "Fn" and F8 (CRT/LCD) button several times. If I do this without connecting an external display, the display will not come back. Also if I hold the power button and reboot it comes back immediately. I think I'm on the latest Intel drivers for the GPU. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be going on? I do not want to buy a new computer as I still really like this one and it meets my needs. 

I don't think CPU temperatures are an issue, as they tend to average between 42C-65C. 

Update: I just repasted the CPU. Lets see what happens. 

Dell Inspiron E1405 BIOS A10

4GB  DDR2 RAM

320GB Hitachi HDD

Intel 945 Express Chipset Family

Intel Core 2 Duo T5200

Windows XP Media Center Edition (I know its risky to still use XP but I like it and intend to continue using it. I understand all the risks.)

Edited by mickchristiansen14, 12 February 2018 - 11:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:54 AM

Hello mickchristiansen14,

It is odd that some of the things that you mention result in the screen coming back to life  :scratchhead:

Will wait on an update from you for now but can I ask that if the issue happens again before doing anything else can you shine a flashlight into the screen to see if there are any desktop icons etc visible in the background.

Black screens are most often inverter or backlight related on notebooks but when they are at fault the screen normally either stays black or is pixelated, striped and sometimes pinkish in colour.

#3 mickchristiansen14

mickchristiansen14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

Hello mickchristiansen14,

It is odd that some of the things that you mention result in the screen coming back to life  :scratchhead:

Will wait on an update from you for now but can I ask that if the issue happens again before doing anything else can you shine a flashlight into the screen to see if there are any desktop icons etc visible in the background.

Black screens are most often inverter or backlight related on notebooks but when they are at fault the screen normally either stays black or is pixelated, striped and sometimes pinkish in colour.

Hi. Its quite strange. I haven't seen this before. When the screen goes black, the backlight is still turned on as you can see the light bleed at the bottom, but there is nothing on the screen at all. Its as if I was looking at a black/blank power point slide. So the screen still has power. So I don't think it is the inverter. 

Now yesterday, the computer didn't do it at all. So we will see how today goes. I did however uninstall my Intel graphics driver and went to Dell's website to install the original driver with a date of 2006, so we will see what happens with that. I really home the issue is resolved. I was able to reply to this post using this computer and it appears to be fine. I will keep an eye on it and keep this post updated as time goes on. If it happens again, I will take a picture of it doing it. 

Thanks

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for the update  :thumbup2:

If it does happen again and you do the flashlight check and there are no desktop icons etc in the background it could be the video cable/ribbon that is loose or damaged.

You are welcome btw  :)

#5 mickchristiansen14

mickchristiansen14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:35 PM

Update. So it has been a week now and we're still going strong. I guess it was just a driver issue. I have made a backup of the driver installer and kept it in the cloud in case I have to reinstall later. 

Thanks again. 

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:11 PM

Glad to hear that all is still going ok with your computer and thank you for letting us know  :thumbup2:

I have made a backup of the driver installer and kept it in the cloud in case I have to reinstall later. 

Good idea  :thumbup2:

You are welcome btw but don`t forget to give yourself a pat on the back as it was you reinstalling the drivers that appears to have resolved the issue  :wink:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users