Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Microsoft download link.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bloopingcomp

bloopingcomp

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

Hey all. We are running 2 pc's, one far more often than the other, with Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed on both of them. Now, on the pc we were using regularly we were suffering a BSOD problem, literally every day or every couple of days. I then tried downloading the following patch from the Microsoft website:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/security-updates/SecurityBulletins/2012/ms12-020

This was right at the beginning of this year and it worked great! We haven't suffered any further BSOD's on our main pc since then. Not a single one in 6 weeks. Well, I have since started using our second pc a little bit more than I used to and that pc is also suffering from BSOd's, exactly like our main pc did. I just never got round to downloading the patch on to our second pc for some reason.

So, I went back to the Microsoft website to download the patch on to our second pc and the Windows XP Service Pack 3 download link is now dead. When I click on the link, instead of getting taken to the relevant download page like I did last month, I get taken to the following 'Error 404 - Not Found' webpage:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29125

The message on this new webpage reads as follows:

'We're sorry, this download is no longer available.'

Well, this surely has to be a mistake doesn't it? I tested every other download link on the Security Bulletin webpage, for all the other OS's available (including Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2), and they all worked fine. It is just the download link for Windows XP Service Pack 3, which worked perfectly fine last month, that now doesn't work. Microsoft surely wouldn't have intentionally gone on to that Security Bulletin webpage in January 2018 and thought 'Oh, let's remove one of the OS download links for a laugh'? Well, I hope not and can't think why. :) Does anyone have any ideas about how I still might be able to access the download I want then? It would be very helpful.  

Edited by bloopingcomp, 12 February 2018 - 05:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

Not a mistake. Microsoft has taken down virtually all XP support pages. I have come across this numerous times. I'm surprised they still have XP 64bit still up. 

You can still get that patch in the Update Catalog.

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB2621440

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:13 PM

Given that XP has been officially out of support for over 10 years it surprises me that anything related to it, at least as far as downloads go, is still hosted by Microsoft.

They've gotten much more strict and timely about removing content related to things they no longer support.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 bloopingcomp

bloopingcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

Not a mistake. Microsoft has taken down virtually all XP support pages. I have come across this numerous times. I'm surprised they still have XP 64bit still up. You can still get that patch in the Update Catalog.

My hero. :clapping: It just seemed really weird to me after successfully downloading it from that very webpage only a few weeks ago. Maybe coincidences really do exist in life then. :P  

Given that XP has been officially out of support for over 10 years it surprises me that anything related to it, at least as far as downloads go, is still hosted by Microsoft. They've gotten much more strict and timely about removing content related to things they no longer support.

Yes, I guess so, but XP is still XP. Like John said, why did they still leave the other XP link up? Best we not question the logic of Microsoft I reckon. :lol:

Edited by bloopingcomp, 12 February 2018 - 06:49 PM.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

""Best we not question the logic of Microsoft I reckon""..... :thumbsup2:

There will come a time....when they simply wipe the lot

Linux is the answer.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users