Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software Tech Ghosts 3 Yr Old Notebook To New One

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:41 AM

My notebook was in for some testing at the toshiba warranty depot and I had to leave it for a couple of hrs for our work software techie to Ghost it back to where it was before it went to the depot.
Supposedly a couple hr job!!!

I called him as he suggested in 2 hrs and he said he had Ghosted the new notebook with the image from the one that I am sending this post on :thumbsup: and thus it crashed. he said that he did not look for the name of the new one simply at the date and it was the newest date and thus he thought it was correct.

Some 4 hrs later I return to his shop and the notebook is working but it is so slowwwwwwwwwww to boot that I may as well be using this 3 yr old notebook.
One of the things that the former software techie commented on was how fast it booted. This guy tried to blame it on Norton A/V 2006 but that was on there before and was not an issue. I always keep a log on boot time so that I know if something is going awry and I showed it to him, so then he did not know what to say. So I then had him do something else/

I had him insert my 2 gig Sandisk flash drive to check that all my emails exported before I sent the unit to the warranty depot were on it. He did that and the My Computer simply hung there and would not open the disk. Before the unit went to the Depot we tested it and there was no issue opening the Sandisk.....now???????

He claims Sandisk has a peculiar program to install programs and thus that is why neither his computer nor my new notebook could open the exported files???? But my notebook opened the 2 gig flash drive before the notebook went to the Depot and before this Crash b/c he tried to install the present notebook that I am typing on as the Ghosted Image. This is my Old Notebook of 3 yr vintage????

I ended up leaving my new notebook there out of frustration and out of time for waiting for it and he said that he would figure it out by Monday.

What I wanted to know is if any damage could be done by trying to Ghost this 3 yr old Toshiba that I am typing on now to the New Toshiba which is definitely not working as it was before.
Why it is so slow in booting and hanging in My Computer in trying to read the Sandisk is beyond me????
BTW there was nothing done at the warranty depot to the unit. It was found to be bad dvd discs (Ty as a matter of fact).

Right now the way the new notebook boots I may as well be using this 3 yr old unit????

Pure misery in a day that this was supposed to take a couple of hrs.

Any suggestions as I would really appreciate the experienced endusers comments here, thankyou.

Edited by georgia, 01 October 2006 - 02:48 AM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:21 AM

No permanent damage, but using a Ghost image from a different computer would have the wrong files for the newer computer to work properly and is probably the reason for your problem. It is exactly the same as if he had just installed the old hard drive in the new computer - won't work!

Instead of doing that you should have just transfered settings and files with the Windows XP utility which is meant for that purpose.
(start/programs/accessories/system tools/files and settings transfer wizard)

You will have to reinstall all additional programs.

What you need to do is restore the computer back to its new condition by using the Restore disk that may have come with the computer OR the hidden restore partition (if it had one), or reload the operating system using the Windows CD that came with it - whichever applies - and then use the files and settings transfer wizard XP provides.

You will need to network the computers to do that and there are several ways to accomplish that.

Again - you cannot transfer the actual programs from one computer to another but you can transfer all data created by those programs. - you have to reinstall them so the registry is created properly, etc.

If you need help with that create another topic in our networking forum.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 October 2006 - 03:26 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:50 AM

You may want to try a repair of Windows XP. Sometimes it will fix the problems that this type of transfer causes. A repair install will leave your programs and data intact. But, you may have to reinstall some/all of the programs if they're looking for different hardware than that present on the new system.

Here's 2 links that should help. The first is about how you can move XP from one system to another and the second is how to do the repair install.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users