Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My proposed upgrade components

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:21 PM

So I have seems the reviews for the Ryzen 5 2400g and while it is a very impressive APU, it can only play modern games on low settings 720p and get decent framerates. I would like to play modern games on 1080p on at least medium settings. So here is the list of components I would like to buy:

CPU + MOBO: AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD1600BBAEBOX Desktop Processor, MSI B350 TOMAHAWK AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

GPU:  GIGABYTE Radeon RX 560 DirectX 12 GV-RX560OC-4GD REV2.0 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 ATX Video Card

RAM: G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2933 (PC4 23400) Desktop Memory Model F4-2933C16D-16GFX

COOLING:   MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB All-in-one CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump by Cooler Master

POWER SUPPLY:   Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-750FM 750W 80 + Gold Power Supply, Semi-Modular, ATX12V/EPS12V, Compact 140 mm Size, 7 yr warranty

Now I do not plan to overclock and can thus forgo the water cooler and stick with the stock CPU fan, but would like other's opinion on this. I have a NZTX Source 210 blue edition case with a side window so all of this should fit nicely.

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 12 February 2018 - 05:46 PM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:13 AM

550W PSU is more than enough for any single GPU card, present and future.

Stock CPU cooler is OK. Water cooler is simply overkill if you are not planning to overclock.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

Again hold off on building, if you buy now the GPU will be three times what its worth.

If you dont want the 5 2400g DONT and I mean DONT buy anything right now, bad idea.

Wait a month, maybe two or three

Heck get a pre built if you must as it will be more worth it right now with GPU prices remaining as high as they are.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

Again hold off on building, if you buy now the GPU will be three times what its worth.

If you dont want the 5 2400g DONT and I mean DONT buy anything right now, bad idea.

Wait a month, maybe two or three

Heck get a pre built if you must as it will be more worth it right now with GPU prices remaining as high as they are.

I would get the Ryzen 5 2400g, but I am just uncertain if adding in a graphics card later would defeat the purpose of even buying it. x8 slot vs x16 has no effect on graphic cards performance so that does not bother me.

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 13 February 2018 - 12:10 PM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Well the way I see it if you want to make a good computer now the 5 2400g will be the best way to go.

I mean it wont really defeat the purpose of the CPU if you got a GPU later as the 5 2400g will still serve as a great processor based on its thread/core count.

Sure is there better? yes but with all the madness of GPU prices right now its not a easy call.

The GPU crisis can end today or a year from now, I just dont want you to spend like $400+ on a GPU that should cost $250

I know what you want and i understand your concerns but really its a bad market right now and you may want to settle for less until things get better.

I understand you want full 1080p gaming but its not going to happen unless you overpay for parts that should cost less.

Plus you are putting money into what a GPU that may be replaced with something better anyhow?

Nvidia is already planning Volta as soon as April and AMD is probably not too far behind with Navi.

Its the long game no matter what you want, pay now and overspend or pay later and maybe things will get better?

Who knows.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 February 2018 - 12:29 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:07 PM

Well the way I see it if you want to make a good computer now the 5 2400g will be the best way to go.

I mean it wont really defeat the purpose of the CPU if you got a GPU later as the 5 2400g will still serve as a great processor based on its thread/core count.

Sure is there better? yes but with all the madness of GPU prices right now its not a easy call.

The GPU crisis can end today or a year from now, I just dont want you to spend like $400+ on a GPU that should cost $250

I know what you want and i understand your concerns but really its a bad market right now and you may want to settle for less until things get better.

I understand you want full 1080p gaming but its not going to happen unless you overpay for parts that should cost less.

Plus you are putting money into what a GPU that may be replaced with something better anyhow?

Nvidia is already planning Volta as soon as April and AMD is probably not too far behind with Navi.

Its the long game no matter what you want, pay now and overspend or pay later and maybe things will get better?

Who knows.

It is true the CPU component is still quite strong that is for sure. I can currently play many games like Skyrim, ESO, Stellaris on 1080p with medium/high graphics settings, so if the APU can do that then sure. If it is stronger or equal to my current Radeon R7 370 3gb then I have no issue as my FX-6300 CPU is just too old now.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

It should surpass that with ease, granted yes a dedicated GPU will be better but in this market beggars cant be choosers.

I know if i built my machine now I would be going for the 5 2400g as the centerpiece of my machine as opposed to the Ryzen 7 1700 + GTX 1060 combo I have now working with the APU for all its worth.

​I mean its certainly going to be better than intel integrated graphics at the very least.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:22 PM

It should surpass that with ease, granted yes a dedicated GPU will be better but in this market beggars cant be choosers.

I know if i built my machine now I would be going for the 5 2400g as the centerpiece of my machine as opposed to the Ryzen 7 1700 + GTX 1060 combo I have now working with the APU for all its worth.

​I mean its certainly going to be better than intel integrated graphics at the very least.

Yes it would seem so! I will buy it and remove the water cooler. Here is the MOBO I have decided: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK PLUS AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard   

and I changed my power supply:  CORSAIR RMx Series RM550X 550W 80 PLUS GOLD Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:26 PM

Yeah that seems like a winner, I mean it will pay off no matter what and will be better than what you have.

Plus you have a upgrade path, its going to work out even if GPU prices suddenly dropped tomorrow the processor is still very good.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

Oh a question, since I am buying a new AM4 motherboard will it come updated with the bios needed with the APU? If not, then how can I update it before I use it?

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 15 February 2018 - 01:28 PM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:45 PM

You will probably have to flash the BIOS, check your vendor on how to do this.

You will have to have more than one usb thumb drive to be sure.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:03 AM

So I noticed these ram sticks are comptatible with my motherboard according to the msi website: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232229

The website states that even though the ram has a speed of 3200, the maximum supported by the board is 2400. But the APU can support up to 2933 or 3200 in theory. Do I have to go into the bios and change this?

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

Go to BIOS and change. QVL lists are useless because manufacturers cannot test every memory stick models available AND even less they can test all individual sticks from all models.

#14 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:41 AM

If you've not already purchased, the newer AM4 boards (X470/B450) will seemingly be out this month....; perhaps some improved clock speeds on RAM, reduced CCX latencies, and support for some of the improvements on Ryzen 2500-2700 series of CPUs..)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users