Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New monitor advice please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Crow

Mr_Crow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

Hello! My first post here...

I'm looking for good, sub £300 27" PC monitor. It should be at least 1080 with a height adjustable stand and be an all-rounder - a bit of casual MMO gaming, office work, Netflix watching.

struggling to find something suitable so would appreciate ideas

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2018 - 02:33 PM.
Moved from System Building to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

What has caused you to rule out ones you've been looking at?

Personally, if I was to get a 27" monitor for max £300 today, I think this is one of the stronger offerings - BenQ GW2765HT - a good quality 1440p (WQHD) screen using IPS technology (which gives better colours and viewing angles compared to TN panels) and has a height adjustable stand.

An alternative to one with a height adjustable stand is buying one which is VESA mountable, and using a deskmount like this instead of the included stand.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Mr_Crow

Mr_Crow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for your reply; not sure how I missed that one! I dismissed others as the height adjustment is really important for me although I hadn't really looked jnto thoose monitor mounts - used one at work but I don't think I could get the mount to fit here at home. Ones with the adjustment are outside budget.

Anyway, cheers once more.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

No problem.  Yes, I think full height adjustment used to be much more common than it is now - you most often see it now on "professional" orientated monitors which tend to more expensive.

While having a look around I found this which is a 4K LG IPS monitor, with height adjustment, just as a possible alternatve.  I think I'd prefer the Benq as I'm not totally sure about 4K resolutions worth on a 27" screen, but it seems the way the market is going slowly.  If the programs you use scale OK and you're using Windows 10, then it should be OK.  Older versions of Windows have flakier support for high DPI screens.  Games take powerful hardware to run in 4K too, although I don't see any reason why they couldn't be scaled to 1080p to work with more modest GPU's and still look OK.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Mr_Crow

Mr_Crow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

I looked into the BenQ monitor and it read really favourably on Amazon - so much so, I've ordered it for delivery tomorrow! Nice! My GPU is a GTX980Ti which I'll be using via the display port (I hear HDMI is fiddly to set up on this one) so it should work just fine. I, too, am sceptical about 4K, as least for now and given the uses to which the monitor will be used. Looking forward to tomorrow!  :thumbup2:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users