Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk activity issue and Resource Monitor issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

I'm trying to get information to troubleshoot a possible disk activity issue.  I was planning to have Resource Monitor open for a few days so that I could try and see what is happening.  The monitors were working fine.  The next day, in Resource Monitor, under the "Disk" monitor section was blank, but the tiny squares in the "Disk" monitor section heading bar were showing activity, as was the graph at the top of the window. I did some research on this issue.  The following is a list of what I have tried and the results:

1.  Booted in safe mode.

--no change

2.  Booted in clean boot.

--no change

3. Tried in new user account.

--no change

4.  Ran sfc.

--(found no problems)

5. In Resource Monitor Menu-Monitor-Stop/Start, Stop was "available", Start was "not available".  I Stopped, then Started.  Upon Starting, Resource Monitor became unresponsive ("not responding").  I rebooted and repeated.  This time, everything was stopped.  I Started, and everything started, except for "Disk" monitor.  I closed Resource Monitor, reopened, and it was the same.  I rebooted again.  This time, again, all was stopped upon opening Resource Monitor, but when Started, NONE of the items started, and in the menu, "Start" was available, and "Stop" was not available.  I started again with the same result--nothing started.  I tried rebooting again with the same result.  Next, I booted to clean boot with the same result.  Next, I booted in Safe Mode, and everything was already running, except for "Disk" monitor.

Currently, then, none of the monitors (CPU, Disk, etc) are running, and will not start if I start them in the menu, but in Safe Mode, everything is running, except for "Disk" monitor, which is what occurred out of Safe Mode and before using the Stop and Start in the Monitor menu.

I did not find any more information, or anything else to try.

Is there a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:30 PM

No solution?

#3 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

Does anyone know of another site to refer me to that might solve this?  Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

If you perform a clean boot does Resource Monitor function correctly?

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

#5 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

No.  (See my first post).

I also just opened it and found that CPU and Memory monitors were working but Networks and Disk were not.  I did not do anything but close and reopen, then none of them were working.

#6 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

Hi ray5450:

Is this the same Acer Vista SP2 machine with the used hard drive that was swapped in from your Win 7 machine and then re-imaged with Macrium Reflect (re: your 05-Nov-2017 thread imagex image/sfc and subsequent 12-Dec-2017 thread Problems making working/error-free image: Macrium, Imagex), and did you ever fix the problem with Windows Task Scheduler (re: your 16-Jan-2018 thread "MMC could not create the snap-in")?

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104 * MB Premium v3.3.1

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:07 PM

No.  (See my first post).

I also just opened it and found that CPU and Memory monitors were working but Networks and Disk were not.  I did not do anything but close and reopen, then none of them were working.

Sorry, I don't know how I missed that.

Make sure your setting is 96DPI. I have read where having it other than default can mess with the Resource Monitor Screen.

http://www.wintuts.com/How-to-change-font-size

Edit: But because of the way this problem came about I doubt the above helps. Do you have a restore point before the problem?

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 February 2018 - 02:28 PM.

#8 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

lmacri:

--Yes.  The Resource Monitor has been working just fine from the beginning, until just now. 

--No.  I am still working on Task Scheduler.  Another site suggested installing, one at a time, .net framework updates, then uninstalling, so I am trying that.  (I did not start that however until after this Resource Monitor issue started.)

JohnC_21:

--96DPI is the default setting.  Not long ago, I found that all restore points disappeared.  There are some now, but they are from after this issue.

#9 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:26 PM

Hi ray5450:

Does the resource monitor in Microsoft Systinternals' Process Explorer work correctly? Download and unzip the ProcessExplorer.zip file and double-click procexp.exe (32-bit OS) or procexp64.exe (64-bit OS) to run the utility - no installation required.  Then go to View | System Information | I/O tab to see if that disk monitor is working.

User devilus also started a thread yesterday at Reliability Monitor Doesn't Work.  There are hints in that thread about failing CMOS batteries and purging of Windows Event Viewer logs that might be helpful.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104 * MB Premium v3.3.1 * Process Explorer v16.21

#10 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:14 PM

Thank-you, for your response.

Process explorer shows 0 (zero) disk activity, 0 net work activity, but does show memory and cpu.

I have had no warnings or other occurences that would indicate a CMOS battery problem.  Date and time are always correct, etc.

It also mentions clearing Event Viewer logs.  I opened Event Viewer to know if I could find how to delete any logs, but it also says, "MMC could not create the snap-in".

Edited by ray5450, 03 March 2018 - 10:14 PM.

#11 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

Hi ray5450:

When you run a manual Windows Update (Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | Check for updates), does Windows Update seem to hang on "Checking for updates...." for long periods of time (e.g., more than 5 - 30 min) without throwing an error message, or does it run to completion normally and install any available updates successfully?

If you open your IE9 browser and go to Help | About Internet Explorer does it show that you have Update Versions 9.0.60 / KB4014661 (Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9: April 11, 2017), which is the final IE9 update released through the Windows Update channel before extended support ended for Vista SP2 ended on 11-Apr-2017?

Attached File  IE9 Version KB4014661 April 2017.png   17.66KB   0 downloads

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104 * MB Premium v3.3.1 * Process Explorer v16.21

#12 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:22 PM

Some time ago,I believe I fixed Windows update using a post on this site.  However, I have not done any further updates than what I have so as not to introduce any more unknowns.  Like I said, Resource Monitor had worked fine all this time as is.

Edited by ray5450, 07 March 2018 - 10:22 PM.

#13 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:40 PM

Unless this issue happens again, it will not get solved because due to an occurance for the MMC problem (see that thread), I had to restore from a Macrium image before this issue occurred.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users