Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVI doesn't work once windows loads, VGA & HDMI do

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan G

Bryan G

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

I'm running windows 7 64 bit with a nvidia gt 710. I'm trying to get dual monitors but the DVI won't work.

Trouble shooting.

I tried a HDMI cable, it worked, dual displays. So VGA works with HDMI or by itself.

I turned the computer off and started with only DVI connected. I could see the POST screen and the screen after that but once windows started loading, the display disappeared.

When I hook of the DVI, the "Screen Resolution" window only shows the VGA
When I hook of the HDMI, the "Screen Resolution" window shows the HDMI and the VGA

I installed the latest drivers, no change.

So on POST all work, HDMI, VGA and DVI
In windows only HDMI and VGA work.
Latest drivers are installed.

My problems is that my customer doesn't have HDMI on either monitor, only DVI and VGA, so I need to get the DVI working, but more than that, I want to know what is happening, why this isn't working, it's driving me crazy, I've never seen this in all my years working on computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:06 PM

I have the understanding that there is a patch that allows there to be three display, one of each, VGA, DVI & HDMI but the drivers only allow one display to be designated as the extended or expanded display.  VGA plus your choice of DVI  or HDMI but not both.  Any patch would basically have to open another  "window" for the third display to run another program.

#3 Bryan G

Bryan G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:18 PM

I have the understanding that there is a patch that allows there to be three display, one of each, VGA, DVI & HDMI but the drivers only allow one display to be designated as the extended or expanded display.  VGA plus your choice of DVI  or HDMI but not both.  Any patch would basically have to open another  "window" for the third display to run another program.

I have not seen any patch in all my searches, is it on the nvidia website or is it 3rd party?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

And that leads me to check the log I have.  It was an AMD based cpu and an ATI card as the third source.  The patch came into question on an Intel based unit with an ATI card.

#5 Bryan G

Bryan G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

I guess I should have included this in my post. This computer has an Intel processor, so it's Intel with nvidia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users