Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

...a WiFi Range Extender...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

Kilroy in another thread suggested an OP "...could get a WiFi Range Extender ..."

I would like to learn what has been the experience of others, good and otherwise, about the features, benefits, drawbacks, from those who actually have used or are still using wifi range extenders.

My experience?  Thanks for asking!  :)   I've had to return my device to Costco because:

-- model number not supported by the manufacturer's own web site's set up page

-- a few other manufacturer's web site pages would not load ... even though other pages loaded (from other sources)

-- I was unable to get my wifi range extender working at all (even WPS attempt made no difference)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 2,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:53 PM

I use a Netgear WiFi range extender. I have had no problems with it since I got it, and it definitely helps with extending the signal range throughout the entire house.

Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM. 

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:47 PM

"...definitely helps with extending the signal range..."  Tell me more about how this works in your house.

I have Spectrum 100Mps(?), how would this extender work for me?   Somebody elsewhere indicated:  if I plug it in an area where there is only one WIFI bar (out of 4), it will not magically create 4 bars in a 1-bar area.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 February 2018 - 04:48 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 2,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:57 PM

I am not an expert with networking and Wi-Fi, but from what I understand, a Wi-Fi range extender extends the wireless signal over an area that is not covered by the wireless router. For example, in my home, there were certain spots where the wireless router's signal did not reach well. A range extender helped with the problem.

Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM. 

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users