Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Band network- 5GHz Great 2.4GHz erratic

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gwknopp

gwknopp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

I use a Arris dual band modem/router along with a TP range extender in my single level home.  I have a 100Mbps Cox service

For months I have had inconsistent connections.  I blamed the extender and have since replaced it with no improvement.  Then I blamed my laptop, replaced it and saw no improvement.  

Here are the symptoms

- 5Mhz band works consistently and at high speed

- 2.4Mhz produces 75% the speed of the 5Mhz band but is inconsistent

-- Speed will abruptly drop to 5Mbps 

-- It will stop working totally

-- If it drops to very slow, it will continue to work one some devices but not others.

-- When it drops it will still show as an available band but will be "connected, no internet"

This is a maddening situation as my Windows 10 Machines will not connect to the 5GHz bands at all.  Macs always do.

Any ideas?

Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:55 PM

Does your range extender work on both bands? How many 2.4Ghz networks show up when you look for your network? Best bet is that you have plenty of "neighbors" on 2.4Ghz, and when they all go to watch videos at once.... you're out of gas. I work with a small rural ISP that used to be the only detectable 2.4Ghz signal over several square miles, now every client is seeing 6-10 other signals, and performance is dropping for both home and WISP clients. We're having to move to another band to get out of the 2.4Ghz clutter. I visited my brother in a more urban area and counted 23 visible 2.4G networks at his place, and that band was quite literally unusable.

Maybe 5Ghz USB wifi adapters for your Win10 machines... not the little tiny sticks but something with an antenna.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users