Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice, Please...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/662366/windows-xp-computer-no-longer-recognising-external-hard-drive/ - Hamluis.

I made a post in this thread last year (but my post is missing) when I had problems with a new 2.0TB Seagate Expansion Disk because my Windows XP needed a rebuild because of problems. I formatted the drive on Windows 7 because XP was having trouble with accessing external drives. Windows 7 formats the drive GPT which Windows XP doesn't recognize. I sought that problem. Now I have another similar problem.

A good friend of mine has been saying he needs to get a new external drive. I explained my problem to stick with 2.0TB drive as Windows XP won't read anything bigger. What does he do, he buys a 3.0TB Seagate Expansion Disk because they aren't much more. I format the drive on Windows 7 expecting to see Disk Management showing GPT as before, it didn't. Why the hell didn't it make it GPT as it did with my other drive?

It shows the 3.0TB drive as 2048GB with 746GB Unallocated. I tried the 2048GB in Windows XP the USB icon shows in the status bar but its still not recognized. Probably because of the 746GB Unallocated.

This 3.0TB Seagate Expansion Disk the properties show:

Disk: Disk 1
Type: Basic
Partition Style: Master Boot record (MBR)
Capacity: 2861587 MB
Unallocated Space: 74436 MB
Reserve Capacity: 0 MB

Seagate Expansion Desk USB Device
Disk ID: C24E936C
Type: USB
Path: 0
Target: 0
Location Path: UNAVAILABLE
Current Read-only State: No
Hibernation File Disk: No
Crashdump Disk: No
Clustered Disk: No

I know Windows XP will only read drive with MBR up to 2TB. I've tried extending the drive but that only make a new drive inside the 2048GB the 746GB Unallocated is still there. I tried to convert it to GPT in diskpart but that didn't work.

I tried to expand the drive but that only made another drive inside 2048GB. Its the 746GB Unallocated I want to add to the main drive. How do I add 746GB Unallocated to the main drive?

I spoke to my friend over the weekend and he says he has another 3TB drive which was done on an old computer and that works. I said you need to look at Disk Management and see if all the drive is available.

He said he will take it back and exchange it for a 2TB drive. I said hang on for a while to see if I can get it sorted.

I've read and tried all the things on Window 7 forum but most forum don't link you posting links from other forums.

Any suggestion before he takes then drive back?

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2018 - 10:31 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:35 AM

Are you referring to this topic:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667718/xp-drive-problems/#entry4419624 ?  Your comments were split because they reflect issues/situations that have nothing to do with the originator of that topic.  As you might recall...each topic is dedicated to the posted issues of the OP.

I don't see any other topics from "last year" in your name.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2018 - 10:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users