Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Automatic updates received but will not install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carbuff

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:22 AM

Until recently, Windows 10 OS updates were received and installed automatically on my desktop as well as other Microsoft product program updates.

At present, only OTHER Microsoft programs updates are received and installed automatically.  OS updates are received, installation begins and then stops. undoes the installation process and returns the OS to the state it was in before the installation began.

This repeats every time I power-up my desktop.

My Windows 10 Home specs are:

Version 1709

Build 16299.19

I have disabled anti-virus and malware programs, have run the sfc procedures, chaned certain Services properties to automatic, un-cabled attached devices from the desktop, etc.

None of these procedures has helped.

What do I do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,135 posts
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:35 AM

Please try below programs one at time.

Download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Automatically reset Windows Update components

If you want to you can try solutions for common Windows Update errors with batch script i have created.

Reset Windows Update Components

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,389 posts
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:52 AM

What processor do you have?

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

#4 carbuff

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

Thank you Freebooter and pcpunk for responding.

I will try what Freebooter suggest after my eyesight returns from upcoming surgery .

pcpunk, Intel i5-6400 CPU @2.70GHz

#5 TheFunkDoctorSpock

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

As one who is totally enraged by the MS updating system, the workaround I found is to manually install my Windows Updates.. 

Though not a popular move, I have disabled MS auto-updates (To defeat unexplained high cpu/ disk usage/ 72 hour installs/ failed installs, ect) permanently, and periodically check for my own updates. no muss, no fuss.

1. Check your version of Windows (Win Key+R> type 'winver' in the run command box), then type your system version results in the MS Update Catalog searchbox, your update path will be revealed.

2. Download your latest (Or cumalative) updates to your computer, install, wait, reboot...done.

If you run into problems, Google/ Bing is your friend, or hit me up in this thread.

*Create a System Restore point before installing any update. Better still, create a system image and save it to an external drive. 

Update like a power user, not like a sheep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users