Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desk top won't boot after reinstalling CMOS battery

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BeachSideBBQ

BeachSideBBQ

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:20 PM

I just bought a used  2006 Acer Aspire T-180 desktop comp w/ windows 7 Premium.My first  time using this OS. The screen was coming up Del: set up F 12: Boot Menu.  I googled and it was suggested to unplug USB and power up and this seemed to correct the problem.

Everything was pretty much fine until this morning.  A computer tech friend suggested to remove CMOS battery and reset BIOS. I  planned on finding a copy of W7 OS and doing a clean install. I removed CMOS battery and put it back in after a couple of hours (nap time). Upon replacing, there were 2 continuous high pitched beeps and the Acer logo shows up for a second, disappears and I get black screen.  I unplugged  computer, removed CMOS battery again and held power button down for 20 seconds - put back CMOS battery, plugged in computer, rebooted. Now I hear 1 long 2 short beeps continuously. I made sure RAM was seated correctly, looked around and then noticed a flashing green power light in back of tower where the antennae for a D LINK sticks out. Activity wasn't lit, just Power light was flashing. I don't know if it's supposed to be doing that.

It was suggested that the former owner may have had a business set up and the D LINK was possibly password protected.

Any ideas of how I can get computer to reboot? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

Everything I googled on that one long two short beep code is related to video.

Does the computer have a video card in addition to the integrated video? Is your video monitor connected to point 8 in the below image? If you have a separate video card clearing the CMOS may have set the video back to the integrated video port.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/232889/Acer-Aspire-T180.html?page=15#manual

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

Is the battery upside down??????

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 BeachSideBBQ

BeachSideBBQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

Hi thanks for responses. Monitor is in #8. Battery is positive side facing me. I don't know much about video cards but have taken some photos of what's here. Thanks again.

Attached Files

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:48 PM

The card nearest the battery is the Wifi card. Not sure about the other but it doesn't look like a video card. If you have more than one RAM stick then use one and change between RAM slots after each boot. Then swap in the other RAM stick by itself and change slots between boots. But from your images it looks like you only have one RAM stick.

Removing those two cards may get the computer to boot. 

Other than possibly getting a new battery I'm out of ideas.

#6 BeachSideBBQ

BeachSideBBQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

Thanks John. I only have one stick that came with the comp. I have others from scrapping but don't know if they work or are same type. Size wise a few are that slim but I will check. I'll be back.

#7 BeachSideBBQ

BeachSideBBQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:01 AM

We removed the 2 cards and tried to boot up. The beep changed to one long beep  which we thought was a ram issue. Took out and cleaned ram and reinstalled into same then different ports with nothing changing. Put the 2 cards back in and rechecked and installed the ram. No change. Still a does the long beep.Tried the ram in different ports again with no change. Will try a new battery and ram stick tomorrow and see if it changes anything.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:23 AM

One long beep could be RAM. The only other thing I could find regarding one long beep was in the below thread indicating it could be a PSU, MB, or keyboard but the thread is very old. You could contact Acer support and ask what one long beep on your T180 means. If out of warranty Acer has a support forum.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/155577-acer-desktop-one-long-beep/

#9 BeachSideBBQ

BeachSideBBQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

Sorry, it's not one long single beep non-stop beep. It powers up with a beep which sounds normal and then it's beeeep pause beeeep pause beeeep pause continuously until I hold the power button to shut down. I'll try getting a new RAM stick and CMOS battery today. After this I will try a hammer and a stick of dynomite :(

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:16 AM

A long beep pause long beep is what I had for a RAM error. I can't say that is your problem though.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 February 2018 - 10:35 PM.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:22 AM

Could this just be a coincident?  Possibly the stick failed.  Question why was the CMOS battery changed in the first place?

Edited by OldPhil, 12 February 2018 - 11:23 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#12 BeachSideBBQ

BeachSideBBQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:23 PM

I got more ram today and a new battery. After playing around, I finally got this screen. The beeping is gone. I don't know what to do next after all of that messing around. I'm scared to mess it up more.

Attached Files

#13 BeachSideBBQ

BeachSideBBQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:31 PM

Wish I hadn't removed battery in the first place Phil. It was because I couldn't get into BIOS. I had to unplug mouse and kb every boot up. I wondered if it set to boot up with USB. That problem got fixed when I rebooted a few more times. I wanted to just reinstall but have no OS copy. It was suggested to try removing CMOS to see if it would reset. WRONG! Now I'm not sure how to proceed.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

What happens when you press F1 at the screen to continue?

#15 BeachSideBBQ

BeachSideBBQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:29 PM

F1 factory defaulted bios? back to 2006. I corrected time/date to hook up to net, updated google, etc. When I reboot Acer del set up thing in attached photo appears and locks me out. After googling problem first time around, I unplug mouse and keyboard, reboot then plug them back in. It was suggested that bios may be set to boot with USB. I can't get keyboard plugged in fast enough to beat the del/set up etc thing so I shutdown/restart without mouse/kb again. I added one new ram at a time and 3rd one made acer del set up screen vibrate like crazy so I removed 3rd ram. I'm pretty much back to square one. Can't del set up etc because it won't let me. Plugging replugging mouse/keyboard is kind of annoying but I'm much happier to have it back up and running. I can't get Defender to run either so I wondered if I could un/reinstall from the net. I have no OS discs. I've only had experience with W Xp on our other Seanix computer. The Acer has W 7 Premium and I don't know the system very well. Thank you all so very much.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users