Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Ports Not working On Windows but works in other OS.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 oozdem

oozdem

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

I have a dual boot system with windows 8.1 and ubuntu. When I was playing games on windows my mouse suddenly lost its connection and get connected again for few times fastly. Then soon after it stopped working. All my usb ports stopped working after this. I tested my ports on ubuntu which is another operation system and all working fine. I deleted drivers from device manager and reboot my system. It automatically reinstalled my drivers but nothing has changed. I couldn't find drivers to update my usb ports manually. I use acer v3-571g.

I am also facing with some weird problems. Such as losing wireless connection when i plug off my pc from power. None of those problems happen when i use ubuntu. Thats why i am sure it is not a hardware problem. I also updated everything with windows update, again nothing happened. I don't want to reinstall windows because i had too many configurations. I am suspicious about power issues. I use a second monitor and it suddenly lost it connection few times today for the first time.

Edit: All usb ports seem to be working fine on device manager. I also wonder what is the value of power requirement should be for an unpugged usb port? Should it be 0? I have 0...

Edit2: I also unchecked the box where it says "pc can close this device to save power" something like that.

Edited by oozdem, 11 February 2018 - 06:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

Do you have a Windows restore point just before the problem? 

#3 oozdem

oozdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

No sadly. I had an ssd lately and i deactivated creating system restore points and deleted my old restore points.

#4 oozdem

oozdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:04 PM

I also wonder how can i update usb drivers manually? Should i update my chipset? I tried it but it fails...

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:11 PM

USB drivers are native to the Windows install. They cannot be downloaded separately.

This may or may not help. Firstly, if you have fast startup or hibernation enabled in Windows disable it. Open an elevated command prompt and type the following commands. You can access an elevated command prompt by pressing the Windows key + X, command as admin.

powercfg -h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

The reason for doing this is to allow Ubuntu read/write access on the Windows partition. 

After the complete shutdown boot into Ubuntu. Windows stores a backup of the registry files in the Windows\System32\config\Regback

Using Ubuntu browse to Windows\System32\config.  There will be 5 registry hives.

Security

SAM

Software

System

Rename the above 5 registry hives in the config folder with a .bak extension. You want to keep these if you wish to revert. Copy the 5 files in the Regback folder to the config folder. After the copy reboot into Windows and see if you have your USB ports back.

#6 oozdem

oozdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

Things get complicated when i was on ubuntu. When my mouse was working i tried to plug flash driver to save the files. But the 2 ports didn't worked. (I have 3 ports one is filled with mouse.) So i unplugged the mouse and plug the flash driver. It worked. Then i plug mouse to other ones and all gone. None of them was working anymore. So i am very sorry to tell my problem wrong.I apologize for that. Now it turns out my problem is about hardware... I will try to uninstall my drivers and restart my windows but this time i will try the ports with another device.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

Does sound like hardware. 

It seems some Acers V3's had USB port issues.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=acer+v3+usb+problems

#8 oozdem

oozdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

USB drivers are native to the Windows install. They cannot be downloaded separately.

This may or may not help. Firstly, if you have fast startup or hibernation enabled in Windows disable it. Open an elevated command prompt and type the following commands. You can access an elevated command prompt by pressing the Windows key + X, command as admin.

powercfg -h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

The reason for doing this is to allow Ubuntu read/write access on the Windows partition. 

After the complete shutdown boot into Ubuntu. Windows stores a backup of the registry files in the Windows\System32\config\Regback

Using Ubuntu browse to Windows\System32\config.  There will be 5 registry hives.

Security

SAM

Software

System

Rename the above 5 registry hives in the config folder with a .bak extension. You want to keep these if you wish to revert. Copy the 5 files in the Regback folder to the config folder. After the copy reboot into Windows and see if you have your USB ports back.

I tried this solution but it cause a blue screen and the error was saying that the system file was missing. So i put the system file back and restarted. But i get another error. So I moved to ubuntu to recover other files too. But this time i get an error stating that " unable to access ssd... The disk contains an unclean file system. Operation not permitted. The NTFS partition is an unsafe state. Things get worse :(

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

You may be able to fix the unclean file system by doing the following command.

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdaX        

Where X is the number associated with the NTFS partition  

#10 XboxUnity

XboxUnity

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:29 AM

You may be able to fix the unclean file system by doing the following command.

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdaX        

Where X is the number associated with the NTFS partition  

I had the same issue and that fixed it for me. Hope it works for OP as well!

#11 oozdem

oozdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:15 AM

Will I lose my data by doing this? Thanks for the answers.
Oos sorry I already fixed that problem but the ports are still problematic.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

See my post #7. USB ports on that model have been problematic.

#13 mjohnson007

mjohnson007

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

You are aware that he recent 2/13 update causes USB devices to stop working? 

And has been buggy since the January update and got worse in the 2/13 update.

You can try to uninstall the updates or reinstall the non working drivers.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

You are aware that he recent 2/13 update causes USB devices to stop working? 

And has been buggy since the January update and got worse in the 2/13 update.

You can try to uninstall the updates or reinstall the non working drivers.

This has affected Windows 8.1 also? From what I have read this was limited to Windows 10. OP also posted ports failed when booting Ubuntu. Post #6

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 February 2018 - 10:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users