Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Trying to figure out how to clear space on my c: drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stuck1893

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:53 PM

I have a Dell Latitude 2620 running Window 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1

It shows I have only 3.1 GB left on my c drive out of 120 GB.  I constantly move whatever possible over to my passport and it barely moves the space.  What in the world is taking all my space.

I see my winsxs folder is about 14.7 GB.  Please help me figure out what is happening so I can function normally.

Thank you!

Edited by britechguy, 11 February 2018 - 06:01 PM.
Moved from WinXP to Win7 forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,142 posts
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:07 PM

WinSxS can grow to a fairly large size on Windows 7. You can use Windows Disk Cleanup to reduce the size of Winsxs.

Reduce the space requirement for System Restore Points.

Cleanup your backups if you are using Windows 7 backup

Download and run CCleaner cleanup but do not use the registry cleaner

Download and run WinDirStat. This will give you an idea of what and how much space is being used on the HDD.

#3 mightywiz

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:01 AM

you may have the CBS persistence file issue going on here.

2 things to check.

1. C:\windows\logs\cbs  -  are there a lot of repetitive size files their  around 126-200MB each?  you should only have like 8 or 9 files there.

2. C:\windows\temp  -  do you have a lot i think cabxxxx.  files  same think with the files sizes.

if so then you need to do this:

#4 MasterNe0

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

You can also use a disk space manager like treesize to scan your C:\ drive to see whats taking up all the space.

#5 stuck1893

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:01 AM

Thank you everyone for your response.  Sorry for taking some time to work on it however have been traveling this past week.

I did run windirstat. and have no idea what to do with it.

I don't use windows backup and have a cleaner that I use.

I did check the CBS file issue and don't seem to have an issue there.

I have plenty of space on my passport and can move over anything but that's my problem....need to clear up some space so I can load Turbo Tax.

Any other ideas? 

I'll look for treesize and see what that shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users