Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo search constantly reset as default search in firefox

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MyPancreas

MyPancreas

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:30 PM

Please delete my two other threads as those mislabled the problem I was actually having. Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly when I found them.

My issue is that Firefox keeps changing the search engine to Yahoo everytime I turn it back on. This happened after updating utorent and getting Web Companion on my PC.

I removed both utorent and Webcompanion and have used CCleaner and Unhack me to remove suspicious items as well as manually removing all Lavasoft and Web Companion entries in the Registry manually.

The problem is it still keeps changing. Unhack me found a hijacker when I used it, but though it claims it removed it and it's not finding it anymore it still happens. Even deleting Yahoo won't make it stop coming back.

Additionally I have also checked to see whether anything about the shortcut has been changed but it appears to have no additions to it after "firefox.exe".

Would someone have any idea what i should do ?

Edit: Have done the same manual removal from the registry of all yahoo entries. Now it seems that upon being turned on, Firefox does stay on google as the search engine, unless I delete Yahoo Search Engine, in which case it's back and selected when I turn it back on.

Edited by MyPancreas, 11 February 2018 - 04:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:32 PM

Use the programs below to remove adware and malware.

Malwarebytes - Clean Mode

• Download and install the free version of Malwarebytes
    Note: If you have Malwarebytes already installed, you don't need to install it again. Simply start from the next bullet point
  • Once Malwarebytes is installed, launch it and let it update its database. You might have to click on the little arrow by Scan Status in the middle right pane for it to do so
  • Once the database update is complete, click on the Scan tab, then select the Threat Scan button and click on Start Scan
  • Let the scan run, the time required to complete the scan depends of your system and computer specs
  • Once the scan is complete, make sure that the first checkbox at the top is checked (which will automatically check every detected item), then click on the Quarantine Selected button
    • If it asks you to restart your computer to complete the removal, do so
  • Click on Export Summary after the deletion (in the bottom-left corner) and select Copy to Clipboard. Paste the content in your next reply

If you are unable to run a scan using MBAM:

Follow the instructions in the thread below. Make sure to download the MBAR linked in it. Let me know if you're not able to launch it and run a scan.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/198907-requested-resource-is-in-use-error-unable-to-start-malwarebytes/

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop. (compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10)

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:26 PM

I actually do have both and have tried using them, and I did remove a bunch of things with unHack me as well as some stuff with ADW, but I'll have to do a more thorough rechecking with both MB and ADW tomorrow as it's rather late. I'm at least content that I managed to remove all the suspicious things already indicated by ADW and Unhack Me and that I managed to get a fix for the search situation, so I can sleep a bit easier.

Thank you for your response, I'll be sure to post the relevant information when I get back home.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

Please post the scan logs after you run them.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:01 AM

Also you said ADW is compatible with 8, I'm using XP and have it installed, that won't cause issues I hope ?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:27 AM

AdwCleaner is NOT compatible with XP.

I suggest you completely uninstall Firefox including your Firefox profile. To do that run the uninstaller and then do  searches

on your computer using the terms Firefox and Mozilla. Delete all that is found using those two terms.

If after doing the above you still have the problem....do this:

Post the three lists mentioned below using CCleaner.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.

At the bottom right of that page you will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste the list of Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks into your next

post. Please do that.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Uninstall. On that page you will see a list of programs installed on your computer and at the bottom right of that page you

will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste that list in your next post. Please do that.

QUOTE MOZILLA: Last year we announced that Windows XP and Vista users would be automatically moved to the Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR), ensuring them continued updates until at least September, 2017.

Today we are announcing June 2018 as the final end of life date for Firefox support on Windows XP and Vista. As one of the few browsers that continues to support Windows XP and Vista, Firefox users on these platforms can expect security updates until that date. Users do not need to take additional action to receive those updates.

We strongly encourage our users to upgrade to a version of Windows that is supported by Microsoft. Unsupported operating systems receive no security updates, have known exploits, and are dangerous for you to use.

For more information please visit the Firefox support page.

Edited by buddy215, 12 February 2018 - 09:44 AM.

#7 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

But wait, not only does ADW run, I used it before in a similar context ? Not asking to be difficult but if it didn't work I can't post all three logs, except it does so, should I bother to get the ADW log even while running an XP ?

Also slightly technically I don't have the problem as stated before anymore. I'll do this anyway but I'll have to export my bookmarks which Chrome is refusing to import. But that's another thing entirely not related to this.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

All I have to go by is what the developer AdwCleaner says it is compatible with. But if AdwCleaner updates and scans...post the log.

If you are not having a problem with Yahoo then you don't need to reinstall Firefox.

#9 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:41 AM

Here are the MBAM logs......if I can figure out how to add the attachements. I go to My Media but it only lets me search through old attachements I made and not put in any others.

Edited by MyPancreas, 13 February 2018 - 02:42 AM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:03 AM

No need to attach...simply follow the instructions on how to post the logs.

But if your problem is solved then there really is no reason to post any logs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users