Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

simple program like calculator not working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

so i got a new dell 13 inspiron 2 in 1.  i like the look and the feel of it but no matter how many times i click on the calculator (i had it on the task bar when i first set it up) i can NOT get it to open and run..

is this just another Windows bug that someone forgot to look at prior to its release?  please tell me there some relatively simple way to get a very innocuous program to work...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

What happens if you type calculator in to the search box and try to trigger it from there?

I have never had any issue with calculator, but I don't like the one that's built-in to Windows 10 myself.  I installed Calculator Plus a while back.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:27 PM

i get a panel that opens and says i can find results in Apps, Documents or Web

and then theres a "highlighted" bar that shows the calculator icon and trusted Microsoft store

below that is Search Suggestions and then Calculator - see web results

i tried to screen shoot it and open in Paint to post an image of that but PAINT doesnt flipping open either.  the only bleeping programs or apps that i can get to open is Office 16 that i installed a little while ago.  everything else "blinks" when i click on it but dont do a damned thing...

alarms and clocks dont open

calculator doesnt open

calendar doesnt open

feedback hub doesnt open

get help doesnt open

what kind of pos software is this???

Edited by ltdave, 11 February 2018 - 03:32 PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

Try the MS file checker, type CMD in the search bar right click it. A DOS box will open type the following Mind the spacing! SFC /scannow hit enter this will take a few minutes it will check for file discrepancies if any are found it will replace them.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

It seems that you have a Win10 installation lemon.   If this is a brand new machine I would return it for exchange.   If it is a recently purchased, but no longer new enough to be returned device, I would do a user data backup and a system image backup and follow the instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.  The prior piece of advice is presuming you are not yet on Version 1709.  If you are then I would try the built-in Windows Reset with the "keep my files" option first if the SFC/DISM don't get things fixed.  Be aware that "keep my files" does just that - any third-party programs you've installed will be wiped and you will have to reinstall them.

I feel your pain, but what you are experiencing is an aberration.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

call me a class 1 knucklehead...

my daughter came home and i asked her to turn on the computer, and open the calculator and paint etc...

she double clicked those little icons and sure as shootin', they all opened up...

either a) shutting it off and restarting it and giving it to my genius daughter got it up and running or B) i dont double click fast enough to get the computer to understand what i want it to do...

sorry for the troubles everyone.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

S'alright.  We all have these sorts of experiences.  Glad that all has been resolved.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

It may be that you don't double click fast enough, the default speed setting can be quite high.

If you go into 'Settings - Mouse' you will find a control for double click speed and a test box. This test box used to be exactly that, a box with a Jack-in-the-box inside it. If you were fast enough, it popped up, if you weren't, it didn't ! It was quite amusing. Now it is a boring folder, merely Open or Closed.

Set the slider to a lower setting and try it, and continue adjusting until you find a speed you are comfortable with and opens the folder every time.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users