Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS problem

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

I have 2 DVD drives, 2 SSD & 1 HDD. The SSD's & the HDD are switched on the front of the tower.  I use 1 SSD for Windows 7 and the other for W 10, the HDD is my data/storage drive. I switch off either the W7 or W10 drive depending on which operating system I want.

My problem is I have to enter the BIOS each time I boot to select the bootable drive, my BIOS is ASUS and I've tried altering different alternatives in the BOOT menu but none work, the sequence in the boot table is P5 - Samsung DVD, next is P6 my other DVD drive, then P4 the HDD and lastly the SSD which contains the W7 system.

Also in the BIOS there is a quick way of altering boot sequence but it contains only the DVD drive and my Data HDD. How can I get the computer to go to the SSD with the operating system on it be it my W7 or W10 SSD depending on which SSD is switched on

Hope this makes sense

Regards

Dave

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2018 - 02:36 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

Motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

Sorry for the delay, Motherboard is ASUS B85-Plus

Dave

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:16 AM

Motherboard Manual.

Have you consulted your manual about configuring your boot settings?

I am not understanding what you are doing when you turn a given drive "on or off".  IMO, such should not be necessary, regardless of which O/S you with to boot into.  Establishing a dual-boot system is the typical way of handling multiple operating systems in one system.

Louis

#5 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

Yes I've read through the boot choices and it only lists what I have to do each startup ie hold down F8 then scroll down to the boot device I want. There doesn't appear to be any facility to store this choice in the BIOS.

I have to turn off one of the HDD's depending on which O/S I want to boot into as this would only add more confusion to the bootup process. It seems rather strange that the BIOS can't store a choice I make for boot priority.

Dave

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

Typically...the BIOS may fail to retain/save changes made in the BIOS...when the CMOS battery needs to be replaced.

For a desktop, purchase of a replacement CMOS battery is at minimal expense.  I would try that, being sure to reset the date/time/boot options in the BIOS, after replacing the CMOS battery.

Has this system ever allowed BIOS access/changes with no problems?

You posted in System Building/Upgrading...is this a new system you put together or had built for you?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2018 - 10:49 AM.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

How do you "switch off" a drive?  I'm guessing this is the main part of your issue.

What you should be doing is using the F8 key to select your boot drive.  While the other drive will be accessible when the other OS is running, unless you're using some form of encryption, there is no other real issue.

You can set a "default" boot drive in the BIOS.  This would be the drive that boots if you don't press the F8 key.  I would set this to the drive with the OS you use most often.

#8 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:40 PM

Hi Kilroy,

The problem is I Can't set a default boot drive in the BIOS, the computer searches for a short while then a blue screen appears saying there's a problem with the computer. I don't want to have to use the F8 key, all I want to do is start the computer and  start using it!

Louis,

I cannot find a way to change the boot order,  There are only 2 choices of boot discs, 1 is a CD rom and the other is my Data HDD and I cannot find any way to add the correct SSD to the choice so that I can make it the default. The computer was built for me in the UK  and there's been no problems with it apart from this, I'm pretty sure it's not a battery problem and the computer is only about 4 years old.

regards

dave

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

Replacing the battery wouldn't hurt, they are pretty cheap maybe a Euro or two.  You might try changing the SATA connections that the drives are using.

#10 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

OK

Changed the battery and no difference!!

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

Do you have one of the SSD's "turned on" when you try to set the boot order?  Most BIOS' won't let you choose to boot from a device that isn't there.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#12 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

Yes, The BIOS recognises the SSD because when I press F8 all connected drives are listed but I cannot get the BIOS to let me c hange the order of priority.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

Hi,

The SSD's & the HDD are switched on the front of the tower.

Can you describe what exactly happens when you use that switch in terms of drive connections?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#14 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

Your system board has 6 (six) SATA ports of which 4 are SATA3 and 2 are SATA2.  Your problem could be due to which device is plugged into which port.

Here is your manual page:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B85PLUS/HelpDesk_Manual/

And the SATA ports are described on page 1-17.

What device is plugged into which port?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

In your Boot section of UEFI look for something called Boot override or Hard Drive BBS Priorities. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users