Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:14 AM
Sorry for the late reply, but anyway:
1) I already use Malwarebytes (free version) to periodically scan. Would using AdwCleaner have any additional benefit for me? Would it be likely to find anything that Malwarebytes can't find? Do both apps share any of the same malware definitions?
According to the Malwarebytes' AdwCleaner download page, AdwCleaner is still a stand-alone tool and only requires a light installation, but Malwarebytes will be integrating its technology into Malwarebytes products in the future.
Yes, with its own database it could likely detect something Malwarebytes does not.
No, both apps do not share any of the same malware definitions.
2) I see there is an option to "Delete Tracing keys" (selected by default). What are tracing keys for? Is there any disadvantage in deleting them?
The option to "Delete all Tracing keys", deletes all Tracing keys, which are used by malware. No, to the contrary, there is an advantage in deleting them.
3) I also see there is an option to "Reset Winsock" (selected by default). Could doing this cause any problems with my system?
The option to "Reset Winsock" is available in case of a malfunctioning network connection after an adware has messed up with the Winsock catalog. No, it should not cause any problems, but you must reboot your system afterwards.
4) Are the above two operations performed even if no malware is cleaned?
Any preselected setting will be executed anyway. However, you can execute manual resets as needed, by directly pressing the Reset button.
5) Are infected items deleted or quarantined?
Infected items are quarantined until you uninstall AdwCleaner, but then they are permanently deleted.
Edited by midimusicman79, 13 February 2018 - 07:47 AM.
MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.