Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AdwCleaner Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:33 AM

Hi,

I am interesting in using the AdwCleaner app on a Windows 7 PC.  If possible, could you please answer these questions:

1) I already use Malwarebytes (free version) to periodically scan.  Would using AdwCleaner have any additional benefit for me?  Would it be likely to find anything that Malwarebytes can't find?  Do both apps share any of the same malware definitions?

2) I see there is an option to "Delete Tracing keys" (selected by default).  What are tracing keys for?  Is there any disadvantage in deleting them?

3) I also see there is an option to "Reset Winsock" (selected by default).  Could doing this cause any problems with my system?

4) Are the above two operations performed even if no malware is cleaned?

5) Are infected items deleted or quarantined?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:14 AM

Hi, F1Help!

Sorry for the late reply, but anyway:

1) I already use Malwarebytes (free version) to periodically scan.  Would using AdwCleaner have any additional benefit for me?  Would it be likely to find anything that Malwarebytes can't find?  Do both apps share any of the same malware definitions?

According to the Malwarebytes' AdwCleaner download page, AdwCleaner is still a stand-alone tool and only requires a light installation, but Malwarebytes will be integrating its technology into Malwarebytes products in the future.

Yes, with its own database it could likely detect something Malwarebytes does not.

No, both apps do not share any of the same malware definitions.

2) I see there is an option to "Delete Tracing keys" (selected by default).  What are tracing keys for?  Is there any disadvantage in deleting them?

The option to "Delete all Tracing keys", deletes all Tracing keys, which are used by malware. No, to the contrary, there is an advantage in deleting them.

3) I also see there is an option to "Reset Winsock" (selected by default).  Could doing this cause any problems with my system?

The option to "Reset Winsock" is available in case of a malfunctioning network connection after an adware has messed up with the Winsock catalog. No, it should not cause any problems, but you must reboot your system afterwards.

4) Are the above two operations performed even if no malware is cleaned?

Any preselected setting will be executed anyway. However, you can execute manual resets as needed, by directly pressing the Reset button.

5) Are infected items deleted or quarantined?

Infected items are quarantined until you uninstall AdwCleaner, but then they are permanently deleted.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 13 February 2018 - 07:47 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#3 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:37 PM

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.  That was helpful.  Hopefully, I should not need to clean anything with AdwCleaner now but it is nice to have to run periodically or if it is needed in the future.  :-)

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:24 AM

Hi again, F1Help!

You are welcome! Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:18 AM

FYI...In October 2016, Malwarebytes announced the acquisition of AdwCleaner and intent to integrate it's technology within Malwarebytes' flagship products. While some of the program's technology has been incorporated into Malwarebytes, no date has beem officially announced for full and complete integration.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users