Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My RAM goes from 40% to 94% in 2 minutes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TCR99

TCR99

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:23 AM

I need help with this one, my machine:

Win7 64bit SP1
eMachine EL1352-01e
AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processor, 4.0 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Was working fine then at the end of a session I noticed functions slowing down to a crawl.  I looked at the win7 gadget it said 97% ram being used it's normally about 40%.

Rebooted - initially it was ok then after several minutes ram usage went very high again.

Anyone on the forum know how to fix this and restore proper function?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

-Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 TCR99

TCR99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

Hi Louis:

Naturally this reply is from another computer

Seeing that the machine that has the problem only has about 2 minutes before it can't do anything.

I could try what you say.

It I run in safe mode all my icons a big but mem. usage is fine very low and a lot of the programs would when I click on them.

Would your diagnostic approach work in safe mode or would that defeat the test?

-Tom

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

You can do what is requested when booting into safe mode with networking.

Louis

#5 TCR99

TCR99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

You can do what is requested when booting into safe mode with networking.

Louis

Hi Louis:

I posted my problem on several different sites.

A user told me he had the same problem - a Malwarebytes update caused it for him.

My reply to him:

When you say updates was that for the signatures or the program?

This may be a coincidence but I went to my computer having the problem and (in safe mode) thats the only way I can get around the rapid ram usage and d/l the latest MB program and ran it in safe mode and did a scan - it didn't fine anything.
Previous to that when I initially had the problem I used ccleaner to take all out of start up but at the time that didn't help.
Now it appears all is OK ram on my desktop gadget says 39% and stays steady.
I uninstalled Malwarebytes (once burned twice shy). My protection at this point is my Panda (paid for) and Zemana (paid for) which got rid of a pesky WMI that Malwarebytes could not.

Thanks all.
It's appreciated.

-Tom

This may be a coincidence but I went to my computer having the problem and (in safe mode) thats the only way I can get around the rapid ram usage and d/l the latest MB program and ran it in safe mode and did a scan - it didn't fine anything.
Previous to that when I initially had the problem I used ccleaner to take all out of start up but at the time that didn't help.
Now it appears all is OK ram on my desktop gadget says 39% and stays steady.
I uninstalled Malwarebytes (once burned twice shy). My protection at this point is my Panda (paid for) and Zemana (paid for) which got rid of a pesky WMI that Malwarebytes could not.

Thanks all.
It's appreciated.

-Tom

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

Safe Mode uses a limited number of drivers and applications.  If you are using a wifi dongle you may not be able to get online.  Because of the limited number of drivers and applications there are aspect of the Speccy Snapshot which will not function.  Safe Mode uses a native Windows graphic driver which, this means that the Speccy will not be able to provide any information for the graphics.  I use a wifi dongle to connect to my router and modem, because of this I can't get online when I'm in Safe Mode even with Networking.  I don't have a computer with Windows 7, so I'm going by the results I'm seeing in Windows 10 and what Google finds for Windows 7.

The minitoolbox appears to work in Safe Mode.

Open the Task Manager and look in the Processes to see which process is hogging your RAM.  Please make a screenshot of the taskmanager and post the image in your topic.

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

Press the Print Screen to capture its image.

Open Paint and click/tap on Paste

Click/tap on File and select Save as, add a name for the file.

How to post an image in your topic

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users