Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Fix (izzit Really Useful?)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Learner87

Learner87

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:40 PM

I saw this software (Registry Fix v5.5) from registryfix.com. Izit really useful 4 our com? Or wht will it helps?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 30 September 2006 - 10:48 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:52 AM

I am not familiar with that particular registry application but unless you are expert at the registry you can do irrepairable damage to your registry by using any ap that alters or modifies the registry.

The safest one to use would be the Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
(It will say "Get a free PC safety scan")
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:34 AM

Registry cleaners rely on the programmer to decide what's good and what's bad. Since the registry is so large, I'd wonder at the ability of anyone to understand it in it's entirety.

But, more importantly, the more times that you tell it to fix your registry, the more chances are that something will go wrong.

That being said, the only registry cleaner that I used to recommend was Microsoft's RegClean v4.1 (no longer supported) - and it's overuse has caused problems for me.

But, I no longer recommed it because of these problems and have started recommending the link that Enthusiast uses. But, once again, I still maintain that you shouldn't use it as a maintenance tool - but rather only to fix specific problems that you may have.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

went to the web site you mentioned looks flakey, trys to download when opening the download page.

behaviour of this web site is just like the smitfraud series of (You have registry errors, click here to fix)

ripoffware. Stick with Enthusiasts' link

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Learner87

Learner87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:52 AM

THNX everydody!
Posted Image

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:33 AM

went to the web site you mentioned looks flakey, trys to download when opening the download page.

behaviour of this web site is just like the smitfraud series of (You have registry errors, click here to fix)

ripoffware. Stick with Enthusiasts' link

The link I posted is a Microsoft product and as such is a lot safer than most other similar products.

It does clean the registry (and I believe, creates a restore point before doing so) as well as defragments and has a pretty effective av- antimalware scan as well.

#7 kolobob

kolobob

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

Hi -- for what it's worth I've been using a program called "Registry Mechanic" -- it was recommended to me by a friend and so far it's been going great (5 months) - no problems what so ever. After it scans your computer -- if any registry problems are found it will set a restore point in your computer before these are are fixed -- give it a go it's a freebee -- I recommend it -- you'll find it at

http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/
WIN XP SP3 - IE Ver.8
Realtime: Nod32(v4), Online Armor(v3.0), Spyware Blaster
On Demand: MBAM, SAS, ERUNT, CCleaner, Panda AntiRootkit
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users