Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Anti-Bot Scanner from Spectrum Cable

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

Customers of Spectrum Cable can get free security software that they call Security Suite. Part of that software package is a program called Anti-Bot Scanner. However, you do not have to install the Security Suite software to use it. Just go to this page:

https://www.spectrum.net/security-suite/?cid=ban-tom-sec-cbm-0118

Scroll down toward the bottom until you come across the Anti-Bot scanner, click it to download the installer and then run the program. It only takes a couple of minutes and it scans the hard drive and memory. I am a Spectrum customer, but it doesn't appear that you have to be a customer to use it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Hi all!

When hovering my mouse cursor over the download link at Spectrum Cable, it appears that the Anti-virus vendor F-Secure developed the said scanning software.

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:30 AM

Hi again, all!

I am a Spectrum customer, but it doesn't appear that you have to be a customer to use it.

As I am not a Spectrum customer, I decided to try it and it ran successfully, and can therefore confirm the above-mentioned statement, but as expected, it did not find any bots on my system. :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:33 AM

F-Secure does not list the AntiBot Scanner on it's product download page but the address (http://download.sp.f-secure.com/charter/CharterOnlineScanner.exe) indicates it is actually CharterOnlineScanner. It is not uncommon for some security vendors to use technology created by other vendors and call it something else.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

Hi, quietman7!

Thank you for the heads-up! :)

Upon downloading CharterOnlineScanner, the download bears the F-Secure logo, and details are as follows; File description: F-Secure Download Tool, Company: F-Secure Corporation.

And the VirusTotal analysis confirms this, here: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/fe71eb25502d740a9022d3f3c0499dcf2f6516a9f0fc06595ef78082d1ee7729/analysis/1518420042/

Regards,

midimusicman79

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

Yep. I just don't understand why some vendors do not give credit where credit is due especially when the program comes from a highly reputable security company.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:19 PM

Does the program in any way conflict with other security software on our machines?

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

There should not be any conflicts since the stand-alone program is essentially just another type of anti-malware scanner but calling itself an AntiBot Scanner.

However, there is a note that AntiBot Scanner is not compatible with mobile devices or Mac computers.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:44 PM

Thanks not sure if I will try but good info for others.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:00 PM

You're welcome.