Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unallocated partition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 freedie

freedie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

Mt friend has a problem with a partition. Despite apparently having so much hard drive space he keeps getting Drive Full errors when trying to save items.

Here is a screenshot:

Hope that worked?

Attached Files

• Attached File  rhys.png   101.48KB   1 downloads

Edited by freedie, 10 February 2018 - 12:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:40 PM

Not unless you intended to post a screen shot of your Facebook page.

A screen shot of Disk Management from the machine in question, like this:

ms_disk_management.jpg

would be far more helpful.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

Well, after the edit and insertion of the needed image, there are no surprises there.   Presuming he's using D: for his data storage he has less than 4 GB allocated to that partition.  His partition for Windows is smaller than I'd use at 150 GB, too.

Most of the space on that drive is unallocated, a huge 777 GB swath at the end of the drive.

I'd enlarge the Windows partition to at least 250 GB and add the remainder of the 777 GB to the D: partition so that you have space that's larger than your average jump drive for data storage.

I am a fan of MiniTool Partition Wizard Free for doing partition rearrangement, not that one cannot use the built in Windows disk management tool.

In this particular case you'll probably end up moving the Recovery Partition to the far end of the drive, placing the existing D: partition just ahead of the Recovery partition, expanding C: into the unallocated space so that it's 250 GB in size, then finally merging the existing D: with the remainder of the unallocated space to form a substantial data storage partition.

CRITICAL:  Always do a full system image backup to an external hard drive before you begin playing with repartitioning a drive.

Edited by britechguy, 10 February 2018 - 12:57 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 freedie

freedie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:10 PM

Thank you so much for your very prompt replies (sorry about posting the wrong image).

We are trying to avoid losing any data already on the PC; but what we don't know is how to do the corrections you suggest.

I have noted your critical suggestion and hope I don't forget so to do.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

Using any partition management tool there is always the slight chance things can go wrong so it's important to backup any important files first to a USB external drive.

Looking at the image these are the steps I would do with partition wizard. All steps are virtual and will not complete until Apply is checked. This lets you back out of any mistakes.

I would resize D: into the unallocated space. Increase the size to approx 300GB. Highlight the partition and left click drag the right arrow of the partition bar.

Next move the D: partition. Left click the bar itself and drag it to the right until it stops.

Move the 500MB recovery partition to the right until it stops. This will place it adjacent to the D: partition. You will now see approx 500GB or space after C: and before the 500MB partition.

Resize the C: partition. Drag the right arrow completely to the right to occupy the unallocated space. This will increase your C: partition by approx 500GB.

Click Apply.

You can always play around with the steps. Partition wizard will show graphically what happens. As long as you do not click apply you are okay. You can change the size of D: to your preference if you want more or less space allocated to D:

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 February 2018 - 01:58 PM.

#6 freedie

freedie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

Thank you John. I will get back to you to let you know how we get on; but it may be some days yet.

Thanks again.

#7 t3dus

t3dus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

Do what John said but I'd use something like Mini Tool Partition wizard. It does a fine job where windows tools fails.

#8 freedie

freedie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

Absolutely marvellous and timeous result. All unallocated space now allocated to C and, apparently, that's the end of the Disk Full problems (for a good while at least!). Thanks again John.

I will not post about this topic again.

Long live Bleeping Computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users