Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HID driver not working following recent update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul515

Paul515

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

Hi all
Following a Windows 10 update on 8th February, I am unable to use the mouse.
Not being computer savvy, Im struggling navigating the menus using the keyboard.
Using the trouble shooting menu the fault seems to be a fault with an HID driver.
The only restore point I can find is 8th February .
I tried reinstalling the update but it hasnt helped.
Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:50 AM

Have you tried a different USB port? 

First disable fast startup and do a complete shutdown.  Press the Windows key + X and select command as admin. It could be called powershell on later versions.

Type the following commands. 

powercfg -h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Reboot

If that does not work then open Device Manager and uninstall the HID driver for the mouse. Reboot. 

You can access Device Manager by pressing the Windows key and typing Device Manager in the Search box. Press Tab to highlight the top most tree.Use the down arrow key to highlight the mouse category. Use the right arrow key to open the category. Down Arrow key to highlight the mouse. Press Shift + F10 to open the context menu. Down Arrow key to Uninstall. Press Enter. Confirm. You may need to use the tap key to select. Reboot. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 February 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#3 Paul515

Paul515
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for your help John
I have tried using other USB ports. I tried both of your suggestions without success so Ive bought a cheap wireless mouse. This mouse is working fine so the problem isnt as grave as I first thought.
Just out of interest I opened the properties box for the faulty device in device manager. In the status box I have Report Desciptor not byte aligned. The Roll Back Driver box is also greyed out..
Could the fault have just been a hardware problem with the mouse ?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

I never heard of the Report Descriptor before but doing some googling I would have to say the chances of a defective mouse were good. The only way to confirm would be to purchase another wired mouse if that was what you were working with. At any rate, glad you now have a mouse.

All the pages I found regarded HID Report Descriptors involved coding of programs.

http://eleccelerator.com/tutorial-about-usb-hid-report-descriptors/

A USB HID report descriptor is one of the descriptors that a USB host can request from a USB device. HID devices send data to the host using reports, and the descriptor tells the host how to interpret the data. I will try to show you how to write one of these descriptors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users