Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VideoLAN VLC releases version 3.0 with HDR and 360-degree video

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

The popular cross-platform, open-source video player VLC has received a significant update in 3.0, the first in what will be called the Vetinari branch. It adds support for HDR, including both 10-bit and 12-bit color and 360-degree video.

This release version now also fully supports Chromecast streaming, a feature we first played with back in 2016. While VLC is open source, this part of it isn't; Tom's Hardware reports that VideoLAN explained it "used Google’s official closed-source SDK to build out the feature, which prevents it from releasing the source."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/videolan-vlc-releases-version-3-0-with-hdr-and-360-degree-video/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

Just FYI, this version is not yet being pushed/recognized if you use the Help Menu -> Check for Updates option.

I have V2.2.8 Weatherwax and it comes back saying it's the latest version.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

Must be pushing it out in steps. V3.0 is shown on VLC's website.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

John,

I didn't doubt that for one second.  I just wanted those "who simply must have it now" that using the built-in check for updates feature was not a mechanism that would work as of the typing of today's messages.

They'll eventually push it out via "check for updates," that's for sure.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:37 AM

I would be careful about downloading it at the moment. There are one or two usability reports about it. Have a read from here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/vlc-3-0-vetinari-released.400558/#post-2737398

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:01 AM

I would be careful about downloading it at the moment. There are one or two usability reports about it. Have a read from here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/vlc-3-0-vetinari-released.400558/#post-2737398

Thanks, another example of releasing programs too early. 

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:00 AM

Thanks, another example of releasing programs too early. 

One of the reasons I got out of software development was the insistence on completely artificial deadlines and the attitude, "There's always time to do it over, but never time to do it right before releasing it."    In most cases I was directly involved in it would have been a matter of a few days to a few weeks delay to go from 95% there, but bound to have big issues for some, to awfully near perfect.  But, somehow, that extra time could never be permitted.  The several months of fallout and slower progress in fixing because you have a live product well, that just didn't matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users