Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help diagnosing potential GPU issues

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 KageSama19

KageSama19

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:48 AM

The simplest way I can explain the problem is my GPU seems to suddenly be running at unnecessary high load as of late. Speccy has been showing it running hotter than normal on games it would easily handle a moth or two ago. From an average of 35°C-50°C up to 60°C- 75°C (Completely idle going from 35°C to ~45°C). My initial thought was a failing fan, but I pulled my side panel and started the system and all fans were operating normally. My next step was to check that my fans were actually increasing RPMs according to the temperature. I had to uninstall a Windows update that was causing Asus AI Suit II to not function properly (KB4056892) and block it from reinstalling as well as used MSI Afterburner to verify it was increasing speed. The fans do appear to be working normally. I pulled up task manager and it is showing it running at nearly 100% load on games that shouldn't be. I'm not sure where to go from here as far as diagnosing if it is in fact a failing GPU or possibly some other issue or issues. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Speccy Published Snapshot and system info: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gmwRgfOiYs1jLFIV84ebuif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

It is fine to see the fans are spinning but is the card clean?  The way they are put together you can not see what is happening inside.  Dust bunnies could be the problem.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

Hope you don`t mind the interjection folks  :)

Noticed a couple of things in Speccy;

Power Profile
Active power scheme: High performance You should change this to Balanced in the Windows Power Plan as High Performance is a form of overclocking that can cause instability and overheating which in turn can lead to instability.

Voltage
+12V: 11.798 V
+5V: 4.931 V These two voltages are a little on the low side and may get worse when the computer is under load, among the things that the two provide power for is the GPU and if the power is weak or unstable the card and it`s cooling fan will become the same.

Seagate FreeAgent USB Device There is a SMART warning for this device, back up all important content from the drive asap in case it fails.

Heads: 16
Cylinders: 121,601
Tracks: 31,008,255
Sectors: 1,953,520,065
SATA type: SATA-II 3.0Gb/s
Device type: Fixed
ATA Standard: ATA8-ACS
Serial Number: 9VP48F7Z
Firmware Version Number: CC38
LBA Size: 48-bit LBA
Power On Count: 184 times
Power On Time: 1751.3 days
Speed: 7200 RPM
Features: S.M.A.R.T., AAM, NCQ
Max. Transfer Mode: SATA II 3.0Gb/s
Used Transfer Mode: SATA II 3.0Gb/s
Interface: USB (SATA)
Capacity: 931 GB
Real size: 1,000,204,886,016 bytes
RAID Type: None
S.M.A.R.T

Can you post the brand and model name or number for both the GPU and PSU.

#4 KageSama19

KageSama19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:13 PM

It is fine to see the fans are spinning but is the card clean?  The way they are put together you can not see what is happening inside.  Dust bunnies could be the problem.

I air dust it somewhat regularly. I will pull the card and make sure there isn't anything that anything caked on though.

Hope you don`t mind the interjection folks  :)

Noticed a couple of things in Speccy;

Power Profile
Active power scheme: High performance You should change this to Balanced in the Windows Power Plan as High Performance is a form of overclocking that can cause instability and overheating which in turn can lead to instability.

Voltage
+12V: 11.798 V
+5V: 4.931 V These two voltages are a little on the low side and may get worse when the computer is under load, among the things that the two provide power for is the GPU and if the power is weak or unstable the card and it`s cooling fan will become the same.

Seagate FreeAgent USB Device There is a SMART warning for this device, back up all important content from the drive asap in case it fails.

Heads: 16
Cylinders: 121,601
Tracks: 31,008,255
Sectors: 1,953,520,065
SATA type: SATA-II 3.0Gb/s
Device type: Fixed
ATA Standard: ATA8-ACS
Serial Number: 9VP48F7Z
Firmware Version Number: CC38
LBA Size: 48-bit LBA
Power On Count: 184 times
Power On Time: 1751.3 days
Speed: 7200 RPM
Features: S.M.A.R.T., AAM, NCQ
Max. Transfer Mode: SATA II 3.0Gb/s
Used Transfer Mode: SATA II 3.0Gb/s
Interface: USB (SATA)
Capacity: 931 GB
Real size: 1,000,204,886,016 bytes
RAID Type: None
S.M.A.R.T

For the power profile I have had it that way for a long while, but never had any issues with it. I changed it anyway to see if that helps. As for the voltage, would that be indicative of a PSU issue?

and on the Seagate HDD that's my old external hard drive that I've been slowly getting all my old data off of, I know it's dying.

#5 KageSama19

KageSama19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:42 PM

Okay, just shut everything down, and pulled the GPU. No caked on dust. gave it a pass over with the canned air anyway. Still running hot.

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:55 AM

For us to best be able to help you we will need you to answer the questions asked KageSama19!

Regarding your voltage question, programs such as HWMonitor and Speedfan are only a guide and any monitoring software that is specific to a MB will be more accurate, in this instance the ASUS AI Suite II, readings in the BIOS are when the computer is not under any load so only really of any use if something glaringly bad is flagged up.

#7 KageSama19

KageSama19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

My bad, I thought that info was in the Speccy report. The GPU is a Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X, and the PSU is a Corsair CX750.

My Asus AI Suit II shows with no other programs open: +5V at 4.928Vand the +12V at 11.840V

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:25 PM

No worries its just that having the correct components helps with checking the specs.

Not an ideal PSU for such a power hungry GPU I`m afraid, the CX range of PSUs are not intended for gaming rigs, Corsair go as far as to say the following;

CX Series power supply units are an excellent choice for basic system builds and desktop PC computer upgrades. 

Both voltages are again low when not under any load, would check them in the BIOS and make a note of them then download and run Valley Benchmark (free) and monitor the readings in the AI Suite.

#9 KageSama19

KageSama19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

Well bleep, I will have to order another PSU

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:55 PM

I wouldn't purchase anything at the moment, the info on the PSU was just to make you aware.

Do the checks in the BIOS and while running Valley Benchmark then post the readings so that they can be checked.

Your PSU and GPU could be perfectly fine as the temps in your OP are not too high.

What size is the LG TV that you have hooked up, this will affect how hard the GPU and its cooling fan need to work as will having a second screen also connected to the card.

#11 KageSama19

KageSama19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

Okay, the BIOS show the same. While running the benchmark it showed the same as well, and I had an average of 70 FPS. And the TV is 39" 1080p, but never had any issues before.

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2018 - 10:38 AM.

#12 KageSama19

KageSama19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:43 PM

So, over the few days, my computer has frozen a couple times, after each the event viewer has a critical error that says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly" and source as Kernel-Power. Would this be related to the issue and possibly indicative of a PSU issue?

#13 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:44 AM

If the voltages stayed the same even when testing it would normally suggest that the PSU was ok, what were the temps like when running Valley.

A computer freezing is often a sign of overheating but it could also be driver related, try booting in Safe Mode to see if it still freezes at all.

Does your GPU have the dual BIOS option that is explained here

#14 KageSama19

KageSama19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

If the voltages stayed the same even when testing it would normally suggest that the PSU was ok, what were the temps like when running Valley.

A computer freezing is often a sign of overheating but it could also be driver related, try booting in Safe Mode to see if it still freezes at all.

Does your GPU have the dual BIOS option that is explained here

The temperature was consistently 60°C-69°C, which is consistent with when I'm gaming.

The freezing isn't consistent. It seems to be random as to when it does it. It's not always in a game, some times it's while on the desktop.

Yes, it has dual BIOS. It is currently in the normal position. Should I have it in the uber position?

#15 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

Those temps are not bad at all when gaming or running Valley, AMD cards normally run hotter than Nvidea cards do and as long as you do not get those temps when the computer is idle the card will be fine.

As your card is not running hot there is not much point in changing the BIOS setting for it as it will just make the cooling fan more noisy.

Would try using the computer in Safe Mode as was suggested and see how things go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users