Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Give some advice for online storage - OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:42 AM

Desiring to try some of these online file storages, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, DropBox, or others, I did some online reading, and am hoping for some advice and insight.

What kind of options are possible in telling which files from which folders on a computer to backup/store/synchronize?

• I do not yet wish to have a Microsoft account; I use two computers with Windows 10, and one computer with Windows Vista.
  • I may want to store or safeguard or have in reserve wordprocessed files, spreadsheet files, pictures, images, and videos.
  • I may start the various files either in Pictures folder, or in Documents folder, or in subfolders in one of these or outside of these folders.
  • I would not really want entire Documents folder nor entire Picture folders coped/backedup/synced.
  • I would want to use a "desktop" program for the online storage installed onto the computer or computers.

What can you all tell me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VB30

VB30

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

Hi,

Have you looked at MiMedia.

http://www.mimedia.com/

The app is more like a backup that stores folders or subfolder in the cloud which you can select and can be run on a scheldule.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,987 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

The first thing is that you will need an account for any of the services you've listed.  That account serves as the connection between your local computer and cloud storage.

I use Google Drive myself, and actually set it up before GoogleDriveSync (which is now called Google Backup & Sync) existed.  You can choose specific files and/or folders that you wish to sync with your Google Drive space and a local copy of the synced file is saved so that if you need access when you don't have a cloud connection you still have something to work on, which will get synced up to the cloud the next time you connect.   I keep all of the files and folders I sync entirely separate from the standard Windows hierarchy so that I am completely clear about what content is, and is not, being synced.  With Google Backup & Sync a folder will be created that is dedicated to the files/folders being synced and it appears in File Explorer.  There are icon overlays letting you know whether the contents have been synced, are awaiting sync, or if there was a sync failure of some sort.

I played, very briefly, with OneDrive but since I have several Google Accounts I did not decide to use it.  I've never touched DropBox though I definitely know of it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 wolfv

wolfv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:37 PM

I use rclone: https://rclone.org/

rclone is free and has over 30 cloud-storage providers to choose from, so you’re never locked into a provider.

Use filter rules to specify what directories or files you want to include and exclude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users