Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Give some advice for online storage - OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:42 AM

Desiring to try some of these online file storages, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, DropBox, or others, I did some online reading, and am hoping for some advice and insight.

What kind of options are possible in telling which files from which folders on a computer to backup/store/synchronize?

• I do not yet wish to have a Microsoft account; I use two computers with Windows 10, and one computer with Windows Vista.
  • I may want to store or safeguard or have in reserve wordprocessed files, spreadsheet files, pictures, images, and videos.
  • I may start the various files either in Pictures folder, or in Documents folder, or in subfolders in one of these or outside of these folders.
  • I would not really want entire Documents folder nor entire Picture folders coped/backedup/synced.
  • I would want to use a "desktop" program for the online storage installed onto the computer or computers.

What can you all tell me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VB30

VB30

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

Hi,

Have you looked at MiMedia.

http://www.mimedia.com/

The app is more like a backup that stores folders or subfolder in the cloud which you can select and can be run on a scheldule.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

The first thing is that you will need an account for any of the services you've listed.  That account serves as the connection between your local computer and cloud storage.

I use Google Drive myself, and actually set it up before GoogleDriveSync (which is now called Google Backup & Sync) existed.  You can choose specific files and/or folders that you wish to sync with your Google Drive space and a local copy of the synced file is saved so that if you need access when you don't have a cloud connection you still have something to work on, which will get synced up to the cloud the next time you connect.   I keep all of the files and folders I sync entirely separate from the standard Windows hierarchy so that I am completely clear about what content is, and is not, being synced.  With Google Backup & Sync a folder will be created that is dedicated to the files/folders being synced and it appears in File Explorer.  There are icon overlays letting you know whether the contents have been synced, are awaiting sync, or if there was a sync failure of some sort.

I played, very briefly, with OneDrive but since I have several Google Accounts I did not decide to use it.  I've never touched DropBox though I definitely know of it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 wolfv

wolfv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:37 PM

I use rclone: https://rclone.org/

rclone is free and has over 30 cloud-storage providers to choose from, so you’re never locked into a provider.

Use filter rules to specify what directories or files you want to include and exclude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users