Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two SSD in one tower

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tr_wa8

tr_wa8

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

I have an extra ssd lying around, and was thinking about putting into my machine. One strictly for the OS, & the other for the programs. I was also going to put an HDDin as just storage. Any thoughts would be appreciated. On an off topic would a 2.5 HDD work in a desktop?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:45 AM

A 2.5 HDD will work in a desktop, the only issue is size but if you can use a SSD you can use a laptop drive.

In any case you could use the second SSD as a backup drive of some sort, or use it to play with linux on the side.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:43 AM

I have 3 SSDs in my computer, all dedicated to different purposes. It is a good set up. I also have a spinning hard drive for data storage in addition to my RAID set up on my desk top.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:26 AM

You're only really limited by the number of SATA ports available in your PC.  Even if you don't have a free bracket to bolt the drive into, an SSD is so light you could quite safely use something like double sided Velcro tape to attach it to a convenient flat surface in the PC... I wouldn't recommend doing that with a HDD because they are normally much heavier, and an HDD falling in operation would be very bad for it's health..

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:51 AM

Both the drives in my tower are 2.5's, The 256 is the OS and programs the 100 is just for data.  Some programs will not work when split between to drives, you need to consider that point.

Edited by OldPhil, 10 February 2018 - 09:43 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:36 AM

I have had 3 SSDs attached at the same time, there is no problem with doing such...only requirement is SATA port/PSU connections for each.

I don't even use Velcro to stabilize my SSD drives...it's not necessary to stabilize drives with no mechanical/moving parts.

Louis

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

If you have enough free storage bays you can use a 2.5 to 3.5 caddy.  You can purchase a basic 2.5 to 3.5 caddy at Amazon for $9.65.

Edited by dc3, 10 February 2018 - 10:32 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users