Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Lotus 123 not accessing enough memory

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 proshopdan

proshopdan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:15 PM

Hello to all of you already using this forum.  My name is Dan and I run the bowling center in Mount Carmel, Illinois.  I have used Lotus 123 for 30 or so years and it has always been adequate until recently.  A complete bowling center is much more complicated than just a proshop and my spreadsheet has grown substantially to include everything we sell and every bill we will pay over the next year.  Because of the problem with Lotus, I have loaded everything into an Open Office Calc spreadsheet, and it will display everything.  But, it is just not as easy and quick to do things as Lotus.  It does however, not overload when I look at 72 columns of data more than 1700 lines long.

The problem is that Lotus displays a memory error over about 300 or so lines of data.  When I tried to continue, it lost data.  Last year I broke the spreadsheet into 5 pieces, each covering 2 or 3 months.  Doing this allowed me to track history but destroyed my ability to project income and expenses.  I expect that Excel would handle a spreadsheet this large, but I have tried it in the past and found it wanting.  Calc is big enough but seems to handle simple tasks in more complicated ways.  For example, it will not consistently display "4" when I type in "=2+2"

I suppose my problem is caused by the 1986 version of Lotus having been designed to access only the 640k of memory that was available at the time.  My current Dell windows XP has practically unlimited memory, but Lotus can't find it.  I have read a little of dosboxes and windows 8 and windows10 and would be willing to buy a program or a computer that would allow Lotus to access sufficient memory to display my business information if that would help..

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.  Thanks, Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

I would recommend instead of Open Office go with Libre Office, a fork of Open Office, which just had a major update and is actually going through more development than Open Office.

If you want to use Dosbox then instead go with the GUI front end which I have used for games. Defend reloaded. It takes a little time to understand it but it's much easier than dos box.

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

Another good alternate free Office Suite 

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 February 2018 - 09:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users