Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not display video in this mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jims7606

Jims7606

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:25 PM

I have a Gateway Desktop DX4860 with a Dell 17" flat screen monitor.  When I try to boot from a flash drive I get the following message:  "Can not display this video mode" this only happens when booting from a flash drive. I have created a number of bootable flash drives and all of them give me this result.  Some of the flash drives are over two years old and have been working but are not.

I have tried different USB ports and different flash drives.  I have checked, deleted and let windows reinstall the driver still won't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:50 PM

a Dell 17" flat screen monitor.

What is its model number?

When I try to boot from a flash drive

What OS are you booting?

I have checked, deleted and let windows reinstall the driver still won't work.

Do you mean the video driver in Windows installed on the computer? That driver is not involved in booting from a USB drive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Jims7606

Jims7606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for responding.

The monitor model is 1908FPT  I get the same results on two other monitors

The operating system is Windows 7 also happens with windows 10

I updated the driver, removed the driver, reinstalled the driver and deleted the device and let windows reinstall it.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:19 PM

It sounds like for some reason the video mode whatever is on your flash drive is switching to is not one the monitor likes.  What is on the bootable flash drive?  Linux? DOS?

Does your monitor have more than one connection method, i.e. if it's connected by VGA does it also have a DVI port you could try instead?

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Jims7606

Jims7606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:46 AM

I assume that the flash drive has DOS on it, it is a Windows 8.1 installation drive downloaded from the Windows store.  Windows support tried but could not identify the problem.  My monitor only has the VGA connector.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:07 AM

A 1908FPT should also have DVI by the specifications.

A Windows installation drive should be booting WinPE, which should work with basically any monitor. Try booting the flash drive on another computer, if the same occurs, something is going wrong with the drive creation. If it will boot on another computer, you should be able to use its monitor's internal menu to see what video mode is actually being used, and discover if it is abnormal.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 Jims7606

Jims7606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

Your cirrect the monitor does have a DVI but my computer does not.

Eureka!!  I have done and tried just about everything, I or the techs helping me, have suggested to no avail.  I was ready to do something drastic to this computer when I thought of something I had not done.... change the cord connecting the computer to the monitor.  I had checked the connections many times I did not believe there was anything wrong with the cord as it has been working fine for a number of years, but I switched it out and attempted to boot from the flash drive.  It WORKED! 

I don't know what is wrong with the cord but everything is working.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help.  Maybe my experience can be applied to someone else in the future.

Edited by Jims7606, 12 February 2018 - 06:26 PM.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

Good news. Glad it was a simple fix in the end anyway - sometimes it's easy to overlook the simple stuff :)

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users