Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 w/ Linux Partitions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 silumor

silumor

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:45 PM

Hello wasn't sure where to post this, I'm not looking for tech support just general discussion.

Recently I was working on a PC that had reports of being extremely slow and running super hot

After a couple people looking at it and failing to resolve the issues I had taken a look at it.

I made a back up because of the the people told me the hard drive was bad and wouldn't clone to a different drive.

upon making an image I found my image wouldn't restore to any drive, no reason given. I started exploring my image file and realised

there was a linux swap partition and linux ext4 partition and a linux extended partition of 6 gig total combined size, I couldn't get 2 of the partition to mount to be able to inspect

them but the third mounted. Inspecting it I found and functioning linux operating system. These 3 partition where crammed in between the windows 10 system partition and the boo partition that contained the windows

OS. I restored my image back to a hard drive this time leaving out those partition images and the Windows 10 system booting perfectly fine with no errors. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this

or would like to discuss it, I have kept an image of the entire drive for future inspection.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:57 AM

Was it a dual-boot machine?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 silumor

silumor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:11 PM

no it wasnt a dual boot the person is question has no clue what that even means

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:02 AM

Nowdays most linux installs are wizard driven. Sounds like whoever did the install decided to do it manually and not entirely correctly?

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users